Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:58 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Micromite eXtreme V5.3.06: Long filenames

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:33am 21 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please download the new release from here

This is a major change to the software that completely swaps the file system handling in order to support long filenames. The original file system routines were provided by Microchip but in the latest release of their demo apps they have moved to Chan's open source routines so it looks like they won't be supporting their code going forward.

Chan's code has established itself as the default for FAT file handling and Geoff is also likely to move to this in a future release.

Not only is the new code future-proof and properly open-source but it is also much faster that the original code. The H/W interface routines are not part of FatFs but are provided by the developer to suit the platform. I've developed and tuned these routines as part of the MMX code such that the time taken to save a 640x480 image to disk has reduced from 8.5 seconds under the Microchip code to 0.62 seconds now.

As this is a major change, bugs are to be expected so please report findings so I can find and fix them

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:44am 21 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stunned! Simply stunned!

do you ever sleep Peter?

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 12:53am 22 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow.. This is an amazing speed change in the file system...!!
Thanks Peter for all your time and hard work for us..!!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:10am 22 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...jaw hits the floor......

Is this ever expected to be ported to the MM+ chips or only ever going to be a MMX feature?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 01:21am 22 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
Is this ever expected to be ported to the MM+ chips or only ever going to be a MMX feature?

this is a really good point - can this be released as a series of CSubs/Functions?

This would nice to have in smaller 5.2 based projects.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:04am 22 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Is this ever expected to be ported to the MM+ chips or only ever going to be a MMX feature?

Geoff is looking to include this in 5.4 assuming it continues to perform on the MMX.

I've just found one more optimisation for reading and can now load a 800x480 full colour image from SDcard and display it on the SSD1963 screen in

0.833 seconds

This equates to just under 1.4Mbytes/second read and written

This will be included in the next MMX release.

lew247

Guru

Posted: 12:52am 23 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
I've just found one more optimisation for reading and can now load a 800x480 full colour image from SDcard and display it on the SSD1963 screen in
0.833 seconds
This will be included in the next MMX release.

Is that .bmp or .ppm files?Edited by lew247 2017-02-24

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:11am 23 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

roughly how much flash space does FatFs take up?

on the MX170 it would be useful as something that could be loaded into the library for those who needed SD card support. just a subset of the fatfs functions would suffice, no need for nice wrappers to make it look basic-like.

even if it was a custom function that took up 16k or more of flash in the library area, with a primative application interface, it would be extremely useful.

cheers,
rob :-)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024