Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:57 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : RS components

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:58pm 23 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hard to believe the service from this company. I placed an order for a few parts,$20 worth, to complete my 144 extreme backpack. I placed the order at 8am yesterday morning and a courier arrived at my door today at 2pm with the parts.
The thing is I live 2,500 Km from their warehouse in Sydney and the delivery is FREE.
Paul
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 23 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree, they are totally BRILLIANT.

Their costs are very good, the quality of components is excellent (as expected from a main supplier), and their timing is amazing. And most importantly, their Customer Service team are outstandingly friendly - something most companies fail on.

As I have mentioned before on this forum several times, I can order one resistor up to 8:30pm, and have it delivered free the following day. The local courier driver knows me really well now and tries to deliver to me first! So typically I get my stuff by 10am
The other thing with RS; I can 'drip-feed' them orders throughout the day, and they don't mind each being a 'separate' order. Following day a whole bunch of RS envelopes will arrive in one hit.

The other supplier I enjoy is DigiKey, although there is a minimum spend. I use these guys for ordering large PIC quantities as they are so much quicker than MicroChip Direct (and often cheaper!). Typically two days from time of order to parts arriving at my door from US via UPS.

It is thanks to these two companies that I am able to fulfil orders on MicroMite.org quickly even if I don't have certain components in my stock.

I am sure there are many other supplier's out there that other people use successfully; but just wanted to highlight that 'big companies' can sometimes 'get it right' too; so credit where credit due

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Bill.b

Posted: 06:04pm 24 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My main problem with RS and Elements14 is that they do not except paypal.

I will not use my credit card on the web.

Bill
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:31pm 24 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill,
I know where you are coming from but I have used my credit card on the web for at least 20 years and never had a problem. And if I do and complain to the bank they will reimburse me anyway. It is just so convenient. However I do use PayPal when ever I can.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:48pm 24 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I fully appreciate people who are wary of (payment) security on the internet, but it must be recognised by them that there are security flaws even when paying by card over the phone, or in a shop, or . . . . .

Cash, face-to-face is the only secure way, but then what 'come-back' do you have as a buyer when your purchase goes wrong?

PayPal is the recognised internet means of transaction which makes it strange to think not all companies have embraced it. It has both buyer, and seller protection that works very well bearing in mind the millions of PayPal transactions that happen hourly!

Regarding ordering from RS and other major players, they do have (sometimes fantastic) customer service departments which allow you to place an order verbally over the phone. But you will have to at some stage part with some 'payment information' so you're back to a 'security issue'.

The other day, I had a customer who wrote a letter asking about purchasing a 44-pin module (after reading about it in EPE magazine). In the letter there was no email address (because he doesn't use email), and no phone number (mobile or landline). He wanted to know if we would accept a cheque. So I wrote back with the information he needed. A second letter then appeared with a cheque and a contact mobile number. Once funds had cleared, I despatched the items but could only confirm despatch by text message. He text to confirm receipt of goods. Then he text again asking for drivers for the USB port. Couldn't email them so had to text a URL link.

My point about this is that he had a secure 'transaction' but it was very time-consuming. With PayPal and the internet it is super quick, and arguably it is as secure (if not more so) as any other form of payment.

Oh the good old days before internet and mobile phones, and when we all had a corner shop!

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:54pm 24 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill
Same experience as Paul. I did get scammed about 4 or 5 years back. It was about 5 or 600 dollars. They bought a software service from Microsoft in Singapore. I had both Microsoft and "Which Bank" wanting to reimburse me. I can't remember which one paid.

I can now easily lock my card against international usage, spend limits, touch and go, and several other modes of operation. There are apps for that. They readily pay up because they can't afford to have a card customer get scammed and not reimburse them. With social media half the world can know about it in an hour.
Bob

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024