Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:35 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 1st post

BrianP

Posted: 04:52pm 29 Mar 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello shedders – this is my first post so please be patient. I feel the need to acquaint you with my (lack of) skills / credentials. This (hopefully) will be my only longish post…

I have lurked here for several years becoming increasingly frustrated at the time constraints responsible for rapidly being further left behind with this brilliant uMite technology.

So the time has come!

I come from a background of 1970s electrician / radio /TV servicing morphing into “computers” along the way. My main “retired” activity these days is sales & maintenance of Windows PCs (thanks for W10 Microsoft) - this being the main reason for being time poor for my love of computing.

My first venture into computing was back in the 70s with the construction of an EA Mini-Scamp 8bit microcomputer kit – front panel switch programmable. Program the boot loader via the switches, then load the rest from cassette tape. After adding a keyboard & screen interface this progressed into a (very) basic accounting program to send monthly invoices / statements for the retail electrical shop, all printed on a teletype printer, All this done from the Mini-Scamp.

Next, we progressed (a major step!) to a Commodore PET, Commodore 64, C128 & eventually to the IBM PC stable. The largest project was on the C128, converting a home-written (not by me) Apple II Basic school timetabling program to Commodore basic. It worked, but not quickly! (remember Basic garbage collection?)

Enter the Maximite! God was in his heaven again. Lots of memories & very rusty Basic programming skills, but lots of fun. Multiple XMAS tree lights flashing routine, separate Maximite to control the defrost cycle on a 50-year old Kelvinator frost-free dinosaur fridge. (Been through 2 mechanical defrost timers in that period – last one being on return from a week away to find stuck in defrost mode. Not a pretty sight or smell, warped plastic liners etc. but she still goes! The Maximite gives the advantage of thermistor sensing the compressor discharge temperature & defrosting more efficiently with the maximum available “hot gas”. Power economy not the best, but with help from solar & Maximite we are persevering.

Current inventory: 2 x original Maximites, 1 x Colour Maximite, 1 x mini Maximite, all built from kits. Just itching to dive into the uMite pond.

I am / would be more than happy to reply to any request for advice / information based on my limited skills. I do have wholesale / best quantity accounts with both Jaycar (Electus Disribution) & Altronics, & happy to give any help there if relevant.

More than enough for 1 post – will be back later with a request for advice / suggestions on a potential uMite project.

Thanks for your patience, best regards to all.

Brian P

palcal

Guru

Posted: 05:49pm 29 Mar 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome Brian, a very friendly lot here where you will get all the help and support you will ever need.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 29 Mar 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome Brian.

It's pretty much the same as when you were lurking... just more replies

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:36am 30 Mar 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome to the posting world, Brian. You've been lurking longer than I've been a member, so you have seen that there's not much to fear in asking a question which may have been answered before (multiple times, maybe).

If you're looking for an early start on gear to play with, I recommend Rozee/Grogster's Explore-28 offering. Very reasonable price, assembled, and plug and play with just a plain usb-to-mini-usb cable.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9348
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9028

Lance

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024