Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:50 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : LoRa modules

akashh

Posted: 03:44pm 31 Mar 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been doing quite a bit of research on Lora and there is some amazing stuff going on with it, for those of you who aren't following it yet. There are relatively low cost modules of 7-12 usd which have a lot of the low level stuff already built in. Microchip has a module with a serial interface that even takes care of encryption (RN2483).
These modules can be used in point to point or WAN type setups with a gateway. Using raspberry PI one can even develop a small single channel gateway to communicate with nodes over long ranges, some claim over 5km and 2 km in built up areas.
I was wondering if anyone else messed with this technology and if there is any feedback so far. I have order three of the microchip ones and thee semtech sx1276 to see what can be done.
Ideas are for remote metering of water, electricity, remote control of irrigation, remote motion sensing, you name it.
Edit: here is a link to an open source gateway: http://cpham.perso.univ-pau.fr/LORA/RPIgateway.htmlEdited by akashh 2017-04-02

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:48pm 31 Mar 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Akash.

there has been some stuff posted here about balloon tracking i.e. long distance via relay stations. I think that use(s|d) LoRa.

FORUM LINK 1

FORUM LINK 2

TassyJim did some work with it too I believe:

FORUM LINK 3

but the dropbox link doesn't work anymore - Jim?

cheersEdited by CaptainBoing 2017-04-02

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024