Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:52 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Reading Digital Calipers

Martrogers

Posted: 10:38pm 01 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would like to be able to read the digital output from cheap Chinese digital calipers in order to build a cheap CNC machine. The protocol is two 24 bit numbers giving absolute and relative readings, the protocol can be found here http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm

Th problem as regards the MM is that the clock pulses are only approx 4 microseconds duration with about 10 microseconds between pulses which I believe is too fast for the MM running Basic. I am wondering what is the best way to be able to collect this data in order to work on it with the MM using Basic. Some solutions I am considering are:

- write a CFunction. This would be ideal but is complicated for me as I would have to learn C and its MM environment.

- use another Pic chip running at say 20MHz and write an assembly routine with the Pic outputting 3 times a second to the MM

-Use a shift register/memory to read the data and output to the MM

Can anyone recommend any other smart/easy solutions?

Thanks
Martin

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 02:04am 02 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

maybe the CFunction readADCtoArray can do the job (part of it)? Just a idea ...

Regards
Michael

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 02 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How about a one bit serial ram such as Maxim DS1200 run in burst mode ?
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1200.pdf

That will store 1024 serial bits clocked in at 4 Mhz.
You can then read that back out at your leisure.
Cheers,  Tony.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:06pm 02 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I remember playing around with old serial mice years ago. They type with the ball and rollers, plugged in to the D9 serial port on your PC.

They were pretty clever, the chip in the mouse would track the roller X and Y optocouplers, basically keeping a tally of each rollers count. When the serial port was ready, the mouse would send out the current roller tally. This meant even if the PC was too busy, the mouse would continue to track the rollers, therefore not loosing its position on the desk.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024