Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:15 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Tera Term Disconnects.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:20am 04 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Doing some remote collaboration over the net ATM, forwarding some ESP8266's over external ports like XXXX1, XXXX2, XXXX3 etc, then just connecting with IpAddress:Port.

Connections are fine with both MMedit & Tera Term, but Tera Term seems a bit more prone to dropping out & needing to re-establish the connection.

Actually finding MMedit more robust.
Have searched high & low for things like connection retry & timeouts for Tera Term but finding nothing.

Can anyone confirm if there is a way to make Tera Term hold onto the TCP connection a bit better?

Thanks

Phil.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:11am 05 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have had nothing but problems with TeraTerm when you use it with TELNET.

I suggest you download and use a copy of PUTTY and use that.
Putty always works for me, whereas TT is known to have some issues with network connections I think.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 12:46am 05 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I suggest you download and use a copy of PUTTY and use that.
Putty always works for me, whereas TT is known to have some issues with network connections I think.

I did try Putty some time ago;
Just donloaded it on my laptop & now recall the one issue I had.

When I connect to one of my MM's, (Ip to ESP8266's),
it seems to be sending Ctrl-C when it connects, so stops the code and I have to run it again.

Any idea on how to stop it sending Ctrl-C when it connects?

Thanks

Phil.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:12pm 05 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am surprised that you are having problems with TeraTerm.
The only issues I have are with having to change line endings on TX and RX depending on what I am talking to.

The other change was to set it so that individual characters are sent without waiting for a full line.
To do that, you have to edit the TERATERM.INI file and make sure that:
; Line at a time mode
EnableLineMode=off

You might also want to play with the keep-alive-packet settings.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:20am 06 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   I am surprised that you are having problems with TeraTerm.
The only issues I have are with having to change line endings on TX and RX depending on what I am talking to.

The other change was to set it so that individual characters are sent without waiting for a full line.
To do that, you have to edit the TERATERM.INI file and make sure that:
[code]
; Line at a time mode
EnableLineMode=off
[/code]
You might also want to play with the keep-alive-packet settings.

Thanks Jim.

I'm not the one actually having the issues; Tera Term is very stable here,
but my college working remotely insists he is getting much more stable connections with MMedit.

The other issues I find, particularly in my search for useful Android VT100 terminals I have tested is that on connecting to the MicroMite, they immediately send a break which stops the code & drops me to a prompt; then I need to send run to the the software going again.

Latest one I tested, Terminus, immediately stops the code, but persists in sending some string that stops it over & over again. It has an OS detect which is disabled, but like most I've tried seem to have this connect characteristic that returns you to a prompt with no way of disabling it.

The most successful I've found to date is TinyTERM Lite, which would suit me fine if it didn't have such an unusable keyboard.

Any other recommendations for Android VT100 apps would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PhilEdited by Phil23 2017-04-07

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:08am 06 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Mocha Telnet.

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:38pm 06 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re: The TT issues - It only seems to be with SOME connections and TELNET.

As I understand it, SSH etc all work fine. The issues I had myself, were with TT immediately dropping the connection to the network serial port at random times. PUTTY did not do this, and also PUTTY would always connect whereas I would often have to argue with TT moaning that it could not connect - but then not say why.

This could indeed just be related to the particular network module I was using(WizNet107), and others may not have that issue.

I just use PUTTY now, and never have an issue. That's just me. Not raining on TT's parade. I feel I should make that clear.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024