Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:19 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 18-year old buys a mainframe...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:50pm 09 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is actually quite interesting from an old computer point of view, and the commentary is actually quite amusing.

18-year old buys a mainframe

220v @ 30A to run it, usually 3-phase - crikey!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

OA47

Guru

Posted: 03:43pm 10 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Watched the video, brought back some bad memories of dealing with systems in a past era, interesting to see the young guy go through the pain of having to revive the system. Also interesting that the hardware was still in functioning condition, I would have thought that this unit would have been built during the bad electrolytic capacitor time.

Graeme

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:15pm 10 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I thought this video was fascinating. 300-grand new, and he paid a couple of hundred bucks for it - technology ages so fast, it has just about lost 50% of it's value by the time you have walked out of the shop with it!

I liked this video, cos the young fella had quite a bit of wit in his presentation, which made it more enjoyable to watch, and not just a boring technical rant.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024