Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:31 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM Can one invert x4 line LCD

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 03:56pm 11 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is it possible to invert a 4 line LCD display (similarly to an LCD panel)?
It is not a big deal - I am using a Backpack to drive an LCD panel and inserting the headers into a breadboard mean that one needs to be inverted. Ofcourse I can invert the backpack but it suits to have it a particular way around - it got me thinking . . .?
Cheers, Andrew

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:38pm 11 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Morning Andrew

there are function calls to the Hitachi 44780 (and clones) controller for left-right and vice versa (mirror), this caters for languages that render from the right (e.g. arabic, hebrew) but I don't think I have ever seen complete inversion mentioned in the datasheet i.e. rotate 180 degrees. possible that let controllers will do it, its not a "big" ask.

is this what you mean?Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-04-13

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:56am 12 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andrew,
have a look at the MMBasic LCD CMD and LCD DATA commands in the Micromite Manual (page p62). I've used the cursor shift left/right and cursor flash commands and they work fine with the other MMBasic LCD commands.

2017-04-12_135500_LCD_Commands.zip an extract (Word .com file) of the commands for the HD44780 controller and they should be the same for the other controllers mentioned in the MMBasic Manual. Not sure whether what you want is there but if you're feeling a bit masochistic you could program the positioning commands for each character separately

GregEdited by paceman 2017-04-13

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 12 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi CaptainBoing and Paceman, thanks for your replies.
I was not precise enough in my suggestion of "invert" - a "Rotation by 180 deg" would be more accurate. i.e. to accommodate an LCD that had to be mounted upside down (the equivalent of the "OPTION . . .RL | RP" for an LCD panel).

It may (or may not) remain as a general suggestion but, having got my ~3+ year old ebay LCDs working I see that they have no backlight - a fatal flaw for my current need.

(All the connections appear to be there but they are just under 10mm thick whereas the backlit version is supposed to be 14 (they are marked FDCC2004B and the Fordata FDCC2004B datasheet gives these dimensions). Is that the only way of telling if they have backlighting? (connecting pins 15 & 16 to 5V does nothing)).

Cheers, Andrew

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024