Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:44 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Other chips

kkoppert

Posted: 12:27pm 12 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The cheapest way of buying a PIC32 in New Zealand is via Aliexpress. Unfortunately there are a limited selection of chips available at the moment. The PIC32MX795F512L-80 seems to be it. The recommended chips for MMBASIC are the 170,270,470?. Are there versions of MMBASIC for chips other than the recommended or is it possible to recompile for a 795?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:41pm 12 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can you not buy from Microchip Direct? Their DHL shipping is only US$15, which is very affordable.....

Failing that, depending on what chip you need, I have most of them except for the new MMX beast based on the PIC32MZ chip.

I beleive that the 795 is the MAXIMITE chip is it not?
This chip is NOT currently compatible with the Micromite family.

Which chip are you after?
I am in NZ, and have most of them from DIL to QFN package, and could EASILY provide you with a pre-programmed DIL, or virgin SSOP, SOIC or QFP(44, 64 or 100 pin flavour).
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

kkoppert

Posted: 12:02am 13 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Strangely enough my first thoughts were purchasing from you, but I musta missed the page on your website where you were selling components. My next thought was MicroChip direct but they wanted $US14.?? for shipping and $US9.99 to cut a reel so $US25 before I start paying for components.
My question was really about what's so unique about the 270 and 470 chips. As far as I can see the 470 and 795 are very similar except for a couple of I/O pins. Why won't the PIC code for MMBASIC on the 470 run on the 795?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:09am 13 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't actually sell any components - there is no money in it, really.
I may well start offering the DIL MM2 chip pre-programmed though, for experimenters.

All the SMD ones can be had in kits or assembled modules.

I think WW offers the DIL MM2 complete with a 10uF MLC soldered across pins 19 and 20.
This may well be worthwhile putting up on the site for NZ clients.

As to the specifics of WHY the 470 HEX won't run on the 795, I will leave that to other members more in the know about that then I.

I am sure there is a reason - probably relating to the silicon die being too different between them or something - but Geoff, matherp, kiiid or MicroBlocks will probably be the ones who will know that and chime in here if they do.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:21am 13 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kkoppert said   Why won't the PIC code for MMBASIC on the 470 run on the 795?

It would - if someone made some changes. Could be you?

Without looking in detail at the C, you can tell from the data sheets the kinds of things that are different and thus must need to be changed.

John

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 05:11am 13 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
I may well start offering the DIL MM2 chip pre-programmed though, for experimenters.

I sell that!
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:28pm 13 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kkoppert said  My question was really about what's so unique about the 270 and 470 chips. As far as I can see the 470 and 795 are very similar except for a couple of I/O pins. Why won't the PIC code for MMBASIC on the 470 run on the 795?

While the chips have a similar part number and run the same instruction set there are numerous differences in the hardware features. For example, the MX470 allows you to change the pin assignments for peripherals (eg, SPI) for better pin utilisation whereas the MX795 does not - so the MX470 firmware will not run on the MX795.

It would be possible to compile a different version for the MX795 taking into account the differences but there are dozens of different chips in the PIC32 family and it is not feasible to create different versions for each. The MX170/470 have the best feature set for the intended use so this is why they were chosen - other chips would force the removal of some features of MMBasic.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024