Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:52 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Ethernet for microcontrollers

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:29pm 14 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Recent discussions here have fired up my thinking around ethernet interfaces for microcontrollers. I have planned to do something here for a few years but never really got round to it.

I have working solutions with WiFi interfaces (ESP8266) and here I am specifically interested in wired solutions, but any discussion is good.

There are loads of libraries around for various devices, arduino stuff, Great Cow Basic, but I want to avoid libraries if I can (relies to much on others work which reduces "tweakability").

What experience do others have with hand-cranking this?

Also, the Microchip ENC28J60 is a nice device which i favoured ages ago but looking at the Wiznet devices, I think they offload much of the really horrible protocol contruction on top of PHY - any experiences with this?

Currently I am favouring the W5100 as it is both competent and cheap and the W5500 handles TCP SYN slightly differently which can result in aborted conect-ins. http://wizwiki.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1382 Any discussions to be had here?

Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-04-16

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:46pm 14 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've done this in the past using a ethernet uart with this sort of coding

jman

Guru

Posted: 09:54pm 14 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi
Have you seen this thread W5100

Regards
Jman

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:16pm 14 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use the WizNet 107SR module in my systems. This device has a nice easy GUI config utility, and it will search for and find the module on the network at the click of a button, and you can update the module settings via that same network connection.

Not as cheap as the 5100 eBay clone though, but I prefer the genuine article these days - I have had too many stressful encounters with fluffy cloned stuff.

Configured for console baud-rate, you can easily connect to the MM console from anywhere on your network, or anywhere on the WAN with the correct port settings in the module, and suitable port-forwarding in the ADSL router.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:53am 15 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the replies chaps.

why did none of this stuff come up when I searched?

It seems that this has all been done before - plenty to think about.

Cheers everyoneEdited by CaptainBoing 2017-04-16

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 07:31pm 15 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@All,

That Thread that JMan linked to was what I was thinking of in my first post! Do you think I could find it??

I have looked up DHCP on the Wiznet modules using Dr. Google and it appears that you need to implement an entire DHCP protocol which isnt as easy as setting a STATIC IP.

If someone comes up with a DHCP command that is compatible with the WIZNET module I think I would have all I need to do my `Responder'

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 15 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   @All,
I have looked up DHCP on the Wiznet modules using Dr. Google and it appears that you need to implement an entire DHCP protocol which isnt as easy as setting a STATIC IP.
Mick

... and that is proper nasty
http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/2131/20.htm

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024