Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:19 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PCB Gogo

smudge

Posted: 06:20am 24 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi I'm looking to get some PCBs made, They are 10cm square double sided. Previously I've used Itead but I've some recommendations for PCB Gogo. According to their website it's the same cost for 5 as it is for 10 but I can use 10 so thats no problem. My question is, which carrier have you used as DHL seems a bit pricey, also has any import duty been made by customs?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:08am 24 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you use DHL you are likely to get hit with customs if the price including postage is > roughly 21USD
I use HK post. Takes a couple of weeks but haven't had a customs charge with that route

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:19pm 24 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DHL is always gonna be the killer in terms of keeping the price down.
matherp also makes a valid point about import duty.

DHL/FedEx/UPS are all declared-value, so if you exceed your import duty threshold, then you have to pay tax before they will release the parcel to you.

In UK, it would seem to be a VERY low threshold going on matherp's post above.....
Here in NZ, our threshold is NZ$400 before you have to pay import duty.(about US$280)

DHL can't be beat for fast delivery, and I tend to get all my boards from PCB GoGo via DHL these days - despite the extra cost. One of these days, I will have to order standard airmail and see if there is much of a time difference.

DHL only takes about 3-4 days to get here to NZ from the factory in China. You get what you pay for, so if you want the fast delivery......

I have a New Zealand Customs code though, so I can quote this, and it is all cleared much quicker, and billed directly to the company, so there are no delays other then a phone call if the parcel gets stopped for import duty here. I guess that is one situation where being a company has it's privileges, but no-one really enjoys paying import duty.

But standard airmail is not tracked or declared, so you won't have to worry about import duty no matter the actual value, but there is no recourse if it gets lost in transit.

It's all a bit of a cost-vs-risk balancing game.

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

smudge

Posted: 11:52pm 24 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your advice, I think I'll stick with HK Post. I once got hit for $18 import duty for buying a $30 part from the US which seemed extortionate

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:15am 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just ordered another board from PCB GoGo, and the price difference between Hong Kong Post and DHL is only US$10, so I just elect to get it via DHL most of the time.

I don't have such a tiny import duty threshold to worry about though - again, sad face...

Does the UK not want people buying anything from outside of UK or something?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:22am 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Does the UK not want people buying anything from outside of UK or something?

The issue isn't really the import duty (probably 2%) but the sales tax (VAT) at 20%. Then the importer adds a handling charge (£8.00 for the post office) hence smudge's "markup" of $18 on a $30 part.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:42am 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK. Pretty much the same process over here then, just that our threshold is higher.
We have import duty in the form of 15% GST(Goods And Services Tax) of the declared value of the goods. Just for fun, they also include the price of the shipping on that total, so you end up paying GST on the DHL freight too....

Then there is $120 or so Customs clearance fee - it all adds up.

The trick is to stay under the threshold - even if you get multiple packages in, rather then order in one large quantity.

But even here in NZ now, the Government was talking about reducing this threshold in recent years. They don't like that so many of us order on-line now, bypassing the NZ shops. It's nothing personal, it's just elementary number-crunching.

There is a PCB house here in NZ, and to do the exact same boards I get from China, the figure goes up by HUNDREDS of percent. Not kidding.....

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:23pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was using ITead Studio then switched to SHenZhen. I just ordered 10 boards for Geoff's new backpack from PCB GOGO, only cost $5 and free post. Maybe it is an intro. offer, sure is cheap.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:51am 26 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul - have you used PCB GoGo before, or have you just joined? I thought that offer was only available to existing members, but perhaps they have opened it up to everyone!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:13am 26 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry not free post, it turns out the postage is US$12, so now all up US$25.
Still not bad $2.50 per board.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

lew247

Guru

Posted: 09:18am 27 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PCGOGO are VERY good if you ask them to lower the import duties
They will ship by DHL and have the invoice value on the packet as $1
I've had several deliveries from them and can highly recommend them

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024