Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:50 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Microbridge and new Micromite Backpack

Page 1 of 2    
Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:04pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FYI

The May issue of Silicon Chip magazine (due in the newsagents about now) has an article in it describing the "Microbridge" which is just a fancy name for Peter Mather's (mathep) PIC16F1455 acting as a USB/serial bridge and PIC32 programmer.

I also added the same chip to the Micromite LCD Backpack which makes a nice module with its built in USB for the console and PIC32 programmer along with the Micromite and LCD panel. The new version of the backpack also includes programmable control of the backlight brightness. This project (called the Micromite LCD Backpack V2) also features in the same issue of Silicon Chip.

With the magazine articles I try to keep them informative and readable but you can also find the basic facts on my website.
Microbridge: http://geoffg.net/microbridge.html
Micromite LCD Backpack V2: http://geoffg.net/MicromiteBackpack.html

If you visited my Micromite LCD Backpack webpage recently you may have to clear your browser's cache to see the new content.

Peter's PIC16F1455 chip is a brilliant device and I plan to include it in any future Micromite PCB's.

By the way, I have also updated the book "Getting Started With the Micromite" and it now covers embedded features and basic graphics including drawing buttons and responding to touch on a LCD panel. You can download it from: http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Micromite/Getting%20Started%20with%20the%20Micromite.pdf

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2017-04-27
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:28pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  Peter's PIC16F1455 chip is a brilliant device and I plan to include it in any future Micromite PCB's.[/Quote]

Amen, brother!

I too, also plan to use this chip in any new MM PCB I do, and I even have a ZIF programming socket for the SOIC-14, and am planning to offer the programmed chip via my website in the not too distant future.

Microchip can program the device for you in bulk, but there is a MOQ.Edited by Grogster 2017-04-27
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

GoodToGo!

Posted: 03:31pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Absolutely brilliant work once again fellas!

Also like the way you fixed up the MM+ LCD backpack pwm backlight default to off design, Might make that fix on my pcb.

I'll have to shell out a few clams and grab one!

Cheers,

GTG! Edited by GoodToGo! 2017-04-27
...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

retepsnikrep

Posted: 07:32pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very nice...

Anyone in UK going to be offering it. Pcb only would be fine..

Customs in UK will abuse us if we order it from Aus :(
Gen1 Honda Insights.

Intellecta

Posted: 08:12pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Geoff and Peter,
Fantastic USB converter. I would like to invert the TX and RX lines in software rather than with a hardware inverter. The picaxe chips use inverted rx,tx.
Looked at the BAS code and cannot see this in the code.
Any assistance appreciated.
Thanks
Tony Pugatschew

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 25 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

retepsnikrep said  Anyone in UK going to be offering it. Pcb only would be fine..

I am awaiting for the PCBs to arrive. Couldn't mention anything as I was sworn to secrecy

Will add onto micromite.org for pre-ordering . . . .
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 12:20am 26 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Superb!

Only one other thing worth mentioning.

Robert Rozee's GUI interface for PIC32PROG, that can be found here.

Cheers

Phil.

Edit:-

I'm presuming the GUI is still compatible.
Edited by Phil23 2017-04-27

cdeagle

Posted: 03:31am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Will the Microbridge work with PIC32MZ ICs?

Thanks

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 03:36am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I understand that it does. Peter Mather tested it a little while ago.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:20am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Will the Microbridge work with PIC32MZ ICs?

Haven't tried a discrete Microbridge but all my MZ PCBs have a 16F1454 onboard and it works fine to program the MZ

cdeagle

Posted: 04:25am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter. I will give it a go.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 06:51am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One thing that has been uncovered by myself and a couple of customers who have purchased the MicroBridge Module from micromite.org, the Tant capacitors +ve lead holes seem to be poorly thru-plated. Please ensure that the +ve lead of the tants are soldered TOP and bottom of the PCB to ensure correct operation. For those interested; the 'open circuit' means that 5v does not get to the vReg (resulting in the unit appearing 'dead').

Also, a 10K resistor is worth adding to the PIC1454 across pins 1 & 5. This pulls up the serial Rx line resulting in a correct operation of the Mode button whenever the MicroBridge is not connected to anything on the serial side.

Any issues or questions then drop me an email . . . .

WW
Edited by WhiteWizzard 2017-07-31

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 08:05am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil: did you have any luck with higher values of pullup on pin 5?

cheers,
rob :-)

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:38am 30 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rob,

I tried a 47K and that seemed to be ok - need to test more. Could not find the 100K's so have some coming tomorrow (UK Monday). I would have tried two 47Ks but just typical that I only had one at hand. Time was too short to put ten 10Ks together.

Will update here after tomorrows tests . . . .

WW

kkoppert

Posted: 01:13pm 31 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't understand the logic of replacing a 5 pin pinhead connector with a 14 pin chip. Is it cheaper, faster, more reliable. OK if I want to use an ICSP connector I need a pickit3 but I already have one.

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:33pm 31 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@kkloppert

IMHO there are quite a number of advantages:-

1. It provides a serial to to USB function that would otherwise require a CP2102 or FTDI module to provide that function;

2. The MM board can stay connected to the PC during program development through Resets and firmware upgrades with out having to re- enumerate the USB connection and potentially change the virtual COM port number;

3. Using it, you can program another PIC (I think?? - haven't tried this); and

4. If mounted on the MM board, it means one less piece of kit to remember and carry if doing any field work; and lastly

5. It gets away from relying on the proprietry FTDI module with the problems associated with driver/knockoff compatability issues.

I have a PIKIT also and have just started using the pic32prog program with great success and satisfaction.

Great job Jean, Serge, Rob, Peter and Geoff.

panky
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:34pm 31 Jul 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Kkoppert,

The basic reason for the Microbridge and MicroBlocks original design was that you need a USB-Serial interface to communicate (in most circumstances) and the PIC16 does that trick nicely and cheaply. The programming ability is an added bonus that Jean and Peter added `for no extra cost' that means the need for a PicKit and associated large download of the IPE is no longer needed.

Of course you can continue to use the PK3 to program but what do you use for the Console connection? Most people buy a USB - Serial adapter of some sort anyway..

I, myself, have a USB-Serial board based on a (to date not cloned by our oriental friends) FTDI FT231 chip (about $3-$4AU each)

MuP-TTL

But MicroBlocks and Peter's chip have basically made that design redundant.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

kkoppert

Posted: 11:15pm 01 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah the penny (2c) drops. Thanks guys.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:56am 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kkoppert said   Ah the penny (2c) drops. Thanks guys.

I must say I too was of your thinking but recently I was forced to use it as a programming device and I think I am hooked.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:15am 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the original ideas were inspired by the enormous download size of MPlab and the complexity of using it. several folks tried developing different ideas for a simple solution, with an extension to pic32prog and the 1455 firmware(s) as the most successful.

you may find a bit of a writeup on parts of the process in the latest edition of DIYODE magazine

cheers,
rob :-)

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024