Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:56 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Microbridge and new Micromite Backpack

Page 2 of 2    
plover

Guru

Posted: 12:36am 03 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I understand that the microbridge, using the PIC16F1455, can then write and read the content of the PIC32 micromites.

I am very curious, is it somehow possible 'read' the program content any PIC16F1455? using a MicroMite in some way? I guess I should add and write to it as well.

I think I understand if I download the works of MPLAB this is possible using the PICK Kit3.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:40am 03 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

See this thread for how to program a 16F1455 with a Micromite

plover

Guru

Posted: 03:21am 03 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp
Thank you, looks like what I am after. Studying it now to see what I can figure out.
Just before looking here I also did fin something about this at Geoff's site

http://geoffg.net/microbridge.html

That will keep me busy for a month.

kkoppert

Posted: 11:30pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Having banged my head against a wall for 3 hours trying to get a pickit3 to connect to a pic16f1455 I finally connect and then can't find a hex file to program the damn thing. The May 2017 SC article mentions a 2410417a.hex file but I can't find it. I have a vague recollection of seeing an improved version on this forum but can't find it. I am trying to construct an smd version of the backpacv2 using soic pic16f1455 and pic32

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:36pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kkoppert said   Having banged my head against a wall for 3 hours trying to get a pickit3 to connect to a pic16f1455 I finally connect and then can't find a hex file to program the damn thing. The May 2017 SC article mentions a 2410417a.hex file but I can't find it. I have a vague recollection of seeing an improved version on this forum but can't find it. I am trying to construct an smd version of the backpacv2 using soic pic16f1455 and pic32

Go to Geoff's website (MicroBridge page ) and scroll down to the 'Downloads' section at the bottom of the page. Then download the 'Construction Pack' (5th item down) and it will be in that folder downloaded. Look for 'Microbridge_Firmware_V1.18.hex'

Hope it works for you . . .

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

plover

Guru

Posted: 12:53am 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kkoppert
Well I have a PickKit3, I have a PIC16F1455 which may just have enough life left in it to reveal its hex code. The chip is connected to a USB socket, and 3 or 4 LEDs and 1 pin is Analog input. Ok I have the PickKit3 but not attempted to get hold of the necessary software yet.

If you have success connecting, while you still remember, would you post for us how you do/did it? I would be very interested.

Presently I am looking to see if reading the 1455 can be done with the MicroMite. As the Micromite can program the 1455 and does a read verification I am trying to decipher the program matherp pointed to.

I must admit I feel intimidated by the programs complexity at this stage as I realise it needs a lot more understanding than I have at the moment. As it would mean a lot of study using the Microchip software as well I feel I would be better off trying to put some of that effort into learning MMBASIC better and keep the PK3 option for later when I am up in a corner.

kkoppert

Posted: 06:08pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

plover said   kkoppert
Well I have a PickKit3, I have a PIC16F1455 which may just have enough life left in it to reveal its hex code. The chip is connected to a USB socket, and 3 or 4 LEDs and 1 pin is Analog input. Ok I have the PickKit3 but not attempted to get hold of the necessary software yet.

If you have success connecting, while you still remember, would you post for us how you do/did it? I would be very interested.

Presently I am looking to see if reading the 1455 can be done with the MicroMite. As the Micromite can program the 1455 and does a read verification I am trying to decipher the program matherp pointed to.

I must admit I feel intimidated by the programs complexity at this stage as I realise it needs a lot more understanding than I have at the moment. As it would mean a lot of study using the Microchip software as well I feel I would be better off trying to put some of that effort into learning MMBASIC better and keep the PK3 option for later when I am up in a corner.

I guess it really depends on what sort of device you have and how it is attached to the board. With 14 pin dip plugged into a socket it was just a matter of pulling the chip and putting it into a breadboard. With a 14 pin soic, I had to unsolder the chip, solder it to a soic-dip adapter board and proceed from there. Somewhere around here I have clip which should allow me to connect to the soic in circuit. My problem was that the pickit3 just doesn't like the pic16f1455.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 07:01pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

my own experience is that the pickit3 can not successfully power a 1455 itself during programming. i need to supply external power from a pair of AA cells (3v total) and set MPlab to NOT power the target from the pickit3.

strangely enough, have never had problems with a pickit2/3 being unable to power an MX170 during programming.

cheers,
rob :-)

plover

Guru

Posted: 07:31pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kkoppert
Sorry I missed writing some vital information here, it is a soic 14 pin and I am hoping I could just attach wires. I would supply power via the USB connector installed. Then 4 pins have LED attached, 1 pin is analogue input reading a gas sensor, which is connected with removable plug. When gas detector removed, from memory, the analog input will be connected to ground via a resistor. (I will check up on this)

I understand about the conversion sockets, that is an option I will keep in mind. It is a curiosity thing on my part to see if reading content can be done in circuit, partly because I thought I killed it by applying wrong USB polarity then later discovered that the LEDs started working again. Applying heat to remove it could be the last straw. (So could trying to read it of course)

robert.rozee
Handy to know if I get around to try the PicKit3, if I can not get my head around trying Matherp et al MMBASIC program. This program looks a bit intimidating to me at the moment but a first study seems to indicate to me that the 'read verify' could be used.

Ahh, what I was going to ask, when attempting with PicKit3 powering, did the supply voltage drop visibly on a multimeter when programming attempted?

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a pickit3 and have programmed 1455s hundreds if not close to a thousand times.
All powered from the Pickit3, and most of the time in-circuit.
It might be that your USB port is a bit underpowered.
On my particular computer i have 4 ports of which one is high powered. The high powered one is the most stable, while the others do not have enough juice to power a in-circuit 1455, though they work flawless with 1455s on a breadboard.
Just to make sure it is not a power problem i most of the time use a powered USB hub.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MicroBlocks just posted before me - I too have programmed lots of (DIP) PIC1454s powered directly from a PicKit3.

This is using a Genuine PicKit3, and a breadboard with 6 jumper-wires between PicKit3 and PIC. In the 'advanced features' of MPLAB IPE, I set Vcc output to 3v3 (defaults to 5v) to establish a reliable connection. I noticed that on 5v it fails.

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

kkoppert

Posted: 03:16pm 06 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said   MicroBlocks just posted before me - I too have programmed lots of (DIP) PIC1454s powered directly from a PicKit3.

This is using a Genuine PicKit3, and a breadboard with 6 jumper-wires between PicKit3 and PIC. In the 'advanced features' of MPLAB IPE, I set Vcc output to 3v3 (defaults to 5v) to establish a reliable connection. I noticed that on 5v it fails.

WW

Hmm if you apply 5v to a pic16lf1455 I presume it lets the magic smoke out as Grogster is inclined to say?

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 04:05pm 06 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think most are using a PIC16F1455 which has a voltage range of 2.3-5.5v.
But it is certainly a thing to be aware of that the LF is from 1.8v - 3.6v.
As i always work with 3.3v and 5v devices i made sure i only use the F version.
In the PicKit3 i always use 5v when programming it when it is on a breadboard and 3.3v when it is programmed in circuit (but that depends what the rest of the circuit is running on).
Microblocks. Build with logic.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024