Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:21 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : How to drive an LCD with switches...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:03am 27 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I came across this video tonight while playing around on YouTube:

Control an LCD with switches.

Quite clever, and the video is well done I thought. Very similar to that other video someone linked to a while back about controlling an I2C EEPROM chip using buttons.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 06:43am 27 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WOW
The electronics was old hat to me, but I had to admit I enjoyed seeing an early model Commodore64 (it had the same case design as the Vic20)
I know them both well, I had a vic20 with the earlier design cassette, then an early C64 with the later cassette like in the video, the early cassette was a `vertical' design rather than the sideways one like he had, then a C64 with the later thin deep case

The Vic20 was still in use up until the mid 2000's as a 8 channel programmable light chaser at a local pub's dance floor, complete with my home grown opto isolated triac board (imagine that these days- a business using a homebuilt lighting board built by a young (barely) teenager at the time)
poke the values from a programmable array for the various light patterns, using hexdec/decimal values- sighs, the good old days of commodore basic and 3 1/2 k of ram.... my phone has 1000's more memory than that now, and a processor that makes the Vic or the C64 look like a wimp- yet we managed to make do

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:52am 28 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Indeed. How far we have come.....

Have a look around on his channel - he does heaps of 8-bit vintage computer stuff, and I seem to recall him doing a video recently on the VIC-20.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024