Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:33 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : EMI / EMP question

BrianP

Posted: 11:09pm 28 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Me again. Now that the keypad function is working I am back to working on the door controller for the local public hall (as mentioned in a previous thread). The original plan was to use as much of the existing infrastructure as possible, in particular the external Wiegand protocol keypad. This proved too difficult as the keypad controller pre-processes all keypresses into a composite word terminated by the hash key.

This meant we didn't have control of the individual key entries, & because the existing cable is a 7-wire I have reverted to using the the inbuilt keypad function.

Now the question as indicated in the thread title - if we use the existing 7-wire cable, unshielded & approx 5 metres in length, to what degree might we need to protect the Maximite inputs from rogue electrical interference, in particular nearby lightning events. Fortunately we don't have many of these, but... (hi Grogster!).

Would some series resistance on the pins provide some reasonable protection, & if so (question probably for Geoff) what would be the maximum resistance value permissable without compromising the keypad function. I'm thinking series resistors with schottky clamp diode protection to 3.3v + & - rails.

I know it's not possible to cater for all events, but any protection is better than none - we can but try...

All thoughts welcome.

Regards

Brian P.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024