Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:38 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : I need some help

lew247

Guru

Posted: 01:37am 30 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've just about given up on the weather station that I was doing and going out and buying a decent one.
However before I do I thought I'd have one last go and see if anyone can help me finish it off

I need someone to code some gauges to fit on the enclosed picture

The gauges are as follows top left clock - ignore this as I have it working perfectly
The other gauges will be Temp, Pressure on mb, Humidity in %, bottom left wind speed, wind direction, rainfall in mm, and UV Index 1 to 10
Ideally I'd also like a portion of the gauge to be a digital readout similar to this

but obviously done in code rather than a picture and would show the exact digital figure the needle is showing

The centre of the display MUST show the correct DAY, DATE and YEAR by getting the info from the RTC and it MUST update every day properly, ie delete the DAY, DATE and YEAR and receive the new day, date and year from the RTC at 00:00 every day AND also at 02:01 every day (the reason for this 2nd one is it will show the proper time when BST changes from GMT/DST

I'd also like the screen to be touch sensitive and show the following in whatever format looks best

1st screen will show the following

Day
weather description ie cloudy etc
weather icon
temperature
pressure
wind speed
wind direction
Humidity
Sunrise
Sunset
Visibility
Min temp
Max temp

The other screens will each show
Day (of forecast)
Description (of weather)
Icon
Min Temp
Max Temp
Temp morning
Temp evening
Temp night
Humidity
Wind Speed
Wind direction
Pressure

4 screens each touch brings up a new clear screen and the 5th touch goes back to the weather display

The forecast screens will be pulling the information from a com port with an ESP8266 on it
and the weather display screen will be getting the information from sensors on the board

What I need is a program that will do all the above with clear instructions on how I feed new data to the gauges (current info from sensors)

How it looks is up to you really, but I'd like it looking as good as possible obviously

If I can't get this last part done then I'll just give up and go and buy a decent weather station (which would have been cheaper in the long run compared to what I have spent on boards and components so far.

If anyone can do the above I'm willing to pay for it.

Enclosed is the picture files and the code I am using the get the info from the sensors and display it in "text format" in case it helps
Also enclosed is the ESP8266 program - you just need an API key which can be got from HERE (it's free)

The ESP8266 is using ESPBasic V3
2017-04-30_113617_weather.zip

One last thing - in the program I wrote for the weather display the picture uses the .ppm format - the enclosed picture in the zip is .bmp I left it that way so it's easier to use
If anyone is willing to write this program you can use either formatEdited by lew247 2017-05-01

palcal

Guru

Posted: 02:41pm 30 Apr 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gee don't give up, you have worked so hard and just about have it all working.
I'm sure some one will point you in the right direction.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

lew247

Guru

Posted: 12:41am 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Even something like this would look way better than the text display I have at the moment
but again its beyond my coding skills

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Lewis,
I have been following your progress over the last year and was looking forward to this project coming to fruition. It is certainly a very comprehensive weather station. Unfortunately my programing skills are not up to it but have a look at Phil23's post HERE .
His gauges look just like what you want...HERE
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said   Even something like this would look way better than the text display I have at the moment but again its beyond my coding skills...

This is one of the issues with modern graphically intensive programs. The vast majority of the program (often as much as 95%) is involved with making things look pretty and artistic while the real work (getting the data, calculating results, etc) is normally a small fraction of the effort.

The best way to achieve a display like that would be to design all the static images (borders, shading, etc) as one or more images using a PC. Then, using a MM+, you could use LOAD IMAGE to fill the screen and in your program just update the variable text leaving the image as the background.

Unfortunately for me, being lacking in artistic skills, it is hard to get any sort of image looking good.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

mikeb

Posted: 04:43pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Geoff, @ Peter

What you guy's do is incredibly artistic.

Although neither of you have worked out how to do a 'DONATE' button yet.

@ Lewis

Definitely do what Geoff recommended.
Do the graphics in Windoze and load a bitmap. With the latest capabilities of
overwriting the background it should be just the ticket.

Regards, Mike B.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

lew247

Guru

Posted: 09:27pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Geoff
I'll start working on it again at the weekend, see if I can get some decent graphics on the PC then put them on the MM
It would probably look better than the original gauges I wanted - although I haven't given up on them yet :)

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:54pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

like-wise I don't have an artistic bone in my body... whenever I try to do something like this, I am outclassed by some pre-schoolers work off a friend's fridge door

do a search on google for images - I often get inspiration there - you might even get lucky and find royalty free images that are acceptable.Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-05-04

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024