Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:55 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : WannaCry worm...

Page 3 of 3    
Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:31pm 16 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Windows 2000 server was my favorite. Stable and simple. This web site lived on a Windows 2000 server till 2013. I used XP for way to long, then 7 and now 10. Like Bobd I use apps that were developed in the 1990's, and these still work on Win10 with a little tweeking. My favorite is Paint Shop Pro 7.

Did look at Linux a few times, but way to many distro's to choose from, and little useful software. I use Adobe Dreamweaver daily for my job, a Windows program. Yes there are alternatives to dreamweaver for the Linux platform, but they dont even compare. If I move to Linux I want to improve productivity, not hinder it.

I use Libre Office, its free, but its not for everyone. 10 years ago I tried to introduce Open Office into the office I was working at, they were using Office 2000 and needed to update. Didn't work, because the office girls didn't want to change the way they did things. So we had to spend $20,000 on MS Office 2007 licences. This is a typical problem. I have another business I deal with that has two offices, one used MYOB, the other uses Quicken, and each refuses to change so we could have one system. I've come to the conclusion women dont like change, so there would be NO chance of adopting Linux in a office environment. This is a shame because its one place Linux could thrive.

My CNC is Windows XP, and I've worked on a few laser cutters running Win2k. There is no option to upgrade these. The laser cutters do have some networking ability to transfer cutting files, but the interface is tied down, so hopefully the user cant do things they shouldn't.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 04:18pm 16 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MicroBlocks said   As someone who also programmed a few XP-E systems there is only one way to keep relatively save. That is to keep being updated (XP-e is until 2019) or upgrade.
If XP is chosen and all recommended programming practices are follow any program will still run on any newer version of windows including the server editions.
Still have some VB6 programs in the wild and they work fine on the newest server2016 and windows 10.
If going around windows and using DOS level stuff and writing drivers specifically for XP without following those recommended practices you are then responsible for making sure future upgrades will be possible.
I have written enough software to know that the ones i programmed 'clean and proper' still work to this day, and the old ones that used DOS tricks, direct BIOS calls or other tricks that relied on specific hardware drivers do not.
We are now in a 64 bit age, the 32 bit is still working as long as it was done right. You can not expect programs that write directly to the printer port to control a CNC will run without problems on a new machine which in most cases does not even have a printer port. A lot has changed and if we like things to get better and faster, well then we have to upgrade.

It is already amazing that software written in 1998 still runs great.

I wished my cnc and lasercutter would work with windows 10, but the provided programs are not updated, one company does not exist anymore etc. So the thing to do is to isolate it from anything coming from outside. Even USB stick, SD cards as they can carry viruses too. Sure it is inconvenient. But less bothersome then losing it completely to some virus or ransom ware.

The linux stuff is still not viable for desktop. Every year the past 20 years was the 'year of the linux desktop', but so far still not so much. The recent change by Ubuntu is just another example. So it is not Windows specific. In Linux and Apple there is also a lot going on that is not backward compatible.

Actually I'm writing this post on a Dell, running Ubuntu 16.04 and believe me, it not only does everything I want or need, but does it much faster than it did when it was still running win7- this being my primary comp. Not to mention it was probably the easiest install ever that I have done, everything just works, straight out of the box

The 2 XP 's here (acer netbook and dell laptop), are because they have been happy running xp, plus I use them to watch tv on, and my tv server box only works with XP, replacement is $200 and simply not paying that just to be able to watch tv out on the veranda with a coldy or lying in bed lol

These are some of the cnc stuff I had to make good again, the owner has literally a whole street of industrial sheds with toys I'd love to own- droools

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:27pm 16 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Impressive machinery!

I personally like Puppy Linux at the moment. While not as fancy as a full-blown Linux, it is simple, quick, and easy to use.

Puppy with SAMBA forms one of my media servers, cos it is so easy to get up and running. Minimal security though, so perhaps not for everyone - with only a password needed to connect. Still, this is better then the NAS-Lite system I was running, which has absolutely no security at all - provided you can find the server on the network, you can access it. You CAN make volumes read-only, but by default, it is open to anyone who knows how to find it on the network.

The Puppy server is just as easy to setup, but still requires a password to access it, which I think is a good idea. Puppy does not have users per-se', so everyone is at root level.

I am still a Linux newbie, but the more I play with it, the more I like it.
I only stay on Windows, because there are no Linux versions of the CAD softwares I use daily. I did get them running under Linux using WINE, but they are SOOOO SLOW as to make them unproductive. This is not really THAT surprising. Emulation is processor intensive.

I've digressed again - whoops!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

BobD

Guru

Posted: 01:13pm 17 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Somewhere in this thread, I think, SMB was getting a bad rap. Last night I read an article that tells how easy it is to turn off SMB v1 in W7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Probably Vista should be included in that but everyone likes to forget about that one. The way ahead is here.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-stop-using-the-horribly-insecure-smbv1-protocol/
As usual these days, the article suggested that XP and earlier was beyond redemption.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:54pm 17 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I ended up disabling SMB V1 on the PC driving my large screen plasma TV.

The PC is one of those miniature NUCs (with the latest Kaby Lake i5 processor) and a licensed version of Windows 7.

All was fine and automatic updates occurred as they should until a few weeks ago when a large intrusive window regularly popped up saying that because the PC used the latest CPU I should upgrade to the latest version of Windows (presumably they meant Win 10). Even more annoyingly it refused to download any more updates - with the result that I have had to manually disable SMB V1 to (hopefully) avoid the worm.

It is possible that later updates would not run on the Kaby Lake processors but that does not sound logical. What is more probable is that Microsoft is still hell bent on forcing users onto Windows 10 - regardless of the danger to unpatched versions of Windows.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

BobD

Guru

Posted: 06:33pm 17 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had heard that Microsoft were not going to support older operating systems on newer hardware.

You can still upgrade to W10 for free if that floats your boat. However, your machine has to be used to assist people with special needs (aka Assistive Technologies). I would assume that you would need W10 for its font scalability to assist reading. I have done a couple of upgrades for people recently using this web page.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024