Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:03 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Drive Z

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:50pm 09 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This months SC has an article for an Inductance/Capacitance meter using an Arduino UNO. I purchased one on Ebay but using my workshop computer running Win XP I have loaded every driver known and can't connect. So I tried to connect using my laptop running Win 10 and it comes up but as Drive Z. But when I click on drive Z although I am the administrator I can't get access. So I go into sharing and share with everyone but still can't access.
What is happening.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Trevorc

Posted: 11:27pm 09 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Palcal,

It sounds familiar to me. You shouldn't get any problem if you have installed the
Arduino IDE as the serial driver is in the driver folder with the Arduino files.

It may help if you have a look at this site http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-installation, it explains exactly what to do.

I do warn that if you have installed other serial drivers, it is possible that your choice of Com No may be restricted if you don't remove the drivers.

Hope this helps.

Trevorc

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:34pm 09 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many people have had a Drive Z appear. It seems that it may be related to updates pending. Are you sure it relates to the meter? Does it disappear when you remove the meter?

Have a look at some of these threads.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:02am 10 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi paul,
can you post a photo of the uno you received? does it have a "CH340G" near the USB socket?

cheers,
rob :-)

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:35am 10 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Robert.rozee
Yes it does have a CH340G near the USB socket.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:28pm 10 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

in that case the drivers you need are here:
http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html

it is the same USB to serial bridge as used on the original ascii ICSP programmer (that was based upon an arduino nano). i've always found the CH340G to be highly reliable.

cheers,

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:14am 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that.
Paul.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:40pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK am now connected on my Win XP box. Downloaded the sketch but got an error when verifying. Searched the net and found I may need to use an older release of the IDE, so downloaded and earlier version and now get an error at the line:
  Quote  LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27,16,2); // set the LCD address to 0x27,

The error message is:
  Quote  LiquidCrystal_I2C'does not name a type.

Probably one for Silicon Chip to sort out, but after a recent exchange of emails with them on another project I am sick of them.
Paul.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i'd suggest using the latest version of the IDE. from the error message, it sounds a little like there is no I2C LCD support built in by default for earlier versions of the IDE.

can you report the exact error message with the new IDE? as i recall there is a progress window that lists everything happening during upload, cutting and pasting the entire contents of this after the compile/upload process may be helpful.

using the IDE is really an unnecessary complexity. SC could have just provided a pre-compiled .hex file and a link to prog328p, a little arduino uploader that i wrote ages ago:
https://github.com/robert-rozee/Prog328P

if anyone cares to compile the sketch for paul, the upload with prog328p is then trivially simple.

cheers,

palcal

Guru

Posted: 02:23pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Reloaded the latest version of the IDE and the error message is.
  Quote  Arduino: 1.8.2 (Windows XP), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10802 -build-path C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_253207 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_cache_603212 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\MicroMite\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch.ino
C:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10802 -build-path C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_253207 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_cache_603212 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\MicroMite\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch.ino
Using board 'uno' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Detecting libraries used...
"C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10802 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_253207\sketch\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10802 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_253207\sketch\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10802 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_253207\sketch\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch.ino.cpp" -o "C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_253207\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\MicroMite\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch\Arduino_LC_meter_sketch.ino:20:31: fatal error: LiquidCrystal_I2C.h: No such file or directory

#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

^

compilation terminated.

Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Paul.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:04pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

right, you are now running close to the latest version of the IDE (1.8.2), so this side of things is all correct.

the hiccup is that the SC sketch requires one of the I2C liquid crystal librarys - there seems to be at least two. to install this you need to follow the steps here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/libraries

in the box that says "Filter your search..." type in "LiquidCrystal I2C" and select the right one. which one? hopefully the text of the SC article or the source of the sketch will give some clues. the one by Frank de Brabander would be my guess.

am just off out for the rest of the day, but will check back in this evening to see what progress has been made.

cheers,

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I looked through the article and can't find anything about I2C liquid crystal libraries . I don't have the display connected yet, still waiting on some parts. I thought I would have a play with the UNO and load the sketch in the meantime (never had anything to do with Arduino B4 and really don't want to start).
The circuit is very simple, using the change in frequency of an oscillator to calculate the unknown value of L or C. It would be a perfect MM Backpack project so I'm thinking I might have a go at coding an MM to do the job, but get it going on the UNO first.
Paul

GoodToGo!

Posted: 09:47pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  The circuit is very simple, using the change in frequency of an oscillator to calculate the unknown value of L or C. It would be a perfect MM Backpack project so I'm thinking I might have a go at coding an MM to do the job, but get it going on the UNO first.
Paul

Gotta admit I was thinking about porting it to MM as well as it looks reasonably easy. But I'm just not too interested in learning arduino at the moment. (Ported INA219 library ok, but the NRF24L01+ library gave me a migraine. I'm even baulking at the Pi and it's MM port for now.....
Just got too many other projects, or 'hobbies' as the boss calls them, on the go at the moment....

*sigh* Back to the xmas light power monitor coding......

Cheers!
GTG!
...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ GoodToGo
I have never read Arduino code before but it was fairly self explanatory. I have finished converting the code to MM.Basic I'm sure it will have plenty of bugs but when I get the hardware built for the meter I will see what happens.
Don't know if I can publish it or not as it is not really my code.
Paul.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024