Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:59 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Micromite Explore 100 update?

GoodToGo!

Posted: 10:21pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Geoff, Grogster,

I was wondering if there are any plans for a refresh of the Explore 100 module?
The inclusion of the Microbridge circuit à la Explore 28 and maybe a power supply circuit that can handle, say, up to 12v for a bit more oomph than a usb could be starters. (Higher Vin would be handy for industrial applications)
There appears to be a lot of real estate available. Possible inclusions, suggestions could be (thinking out loud):-

Micro sd card onboard,
Flip the RTC module so it can be soldered to the board if required with access to replace the battery,
Provision for a plug in GPS module,
Possible connection to USB keyboard/mouse,
Microbridge PIC16F1455 circuitry means the usb/serial provisions and ICSP could be removed,
As before, a power supply that could handle 12vdc in, with reverse polarity protection,
Maybe some screw holes available to attach a smaller pcb for the 3rd layer of the sandwich,
Maybe a bank of separate I2C breakouts to connect other modules like the HC12s, or I2C relay modules/16x2modules, etc.
Similar idea for serial breakouts?

Feel free to tell me to go jump if you like if it appears I'm being demanding or needy....

Cheers!
GTG!

...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:20pm 11 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wish you had said that a couple of days ago - I have just ordered more PCB's...

As to your specific requests:

MORE JUICY PSU - Not planning on it. I have used the E100 in a couple of products already, and I just use a 5v, 1A(or 2A) plug-pack. If you want to feed it from a pre-existing 12v rail on something already in place, that is also easy to do with the likes of an external adjustable regulator module such as these which only cost one buck, and can do 3A....

uSD ON_BOARD - Since Silicon Chip did their board like that, I can see the logic in that. I think that the idea is that the E100 would always be used with an LCD, so you get the SD card socket on that, but how many members are using the E100 board without an LCD I wonder?

GPS MODULE - You can probably get one in the CLICK footprint I would expect, which would plug directly into one of the two sockets on the board.

USB KEYBOARD AND MOUSE - See the Micromite Extreme and PI-cromite series for those features. I think Geoff was toying with the idea of supporting USB keyboards at one point in time, but this may well have been dropped now, what with the MMX and Raspberry-PI ports now on offer. The Raspberry-PI port especially - the underlying Linux can natively handle the mouse and keyboard. Not sure if these will ever make it to the MM+ series now though.

1455 INTERFACE - Now THIS is one that I do want to incorporate into the next version of the board.

BREAKOUT BOARD(s) - I did do a E100 breakout/prototyping board. It is here somewhere in the forums, but I will have to hunt for the thread. I still have five or six boards left of those.

At the end of the day, the E100 board and concept are Geoff's property, so anything added like that would need his approval first before I would produce any boards.

Not to put you off - your comments are all valid, but we'll see what others and/or Geoff say about those suggestions. Thanks for raising the subject.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 12:30am 12 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've contemplated putting a 1455 on one of the click sockets.

I know it would require a couple of fly leads for the console & the ICSP connector, but still fairly simple to do.

I have all the components on hand to do it, but just haven't got motivated yet.

That's probably stemming from the fact that I have most of my MM's on ESP8266's.

192.168.XX.X1 - CG Micro2 Coms Master
192.168.XX.X2 - MM Backpack - Spa Controller
192.168.XX.X3 - 28 Pin Chip on Heat Pump Monitor Coms Master
192.168.XX.X4 - 28 Pin Chip on Ceiling Heat Controller
192.168.XX.X5 - CG Micro2 - Another WIP Multi device monitor
192.168.XX.X6 - E100 - Monitor/Controller WIP again now winters here.
192.168.XX.X7 - Ditto Duplicate of above.

There's at least another 9 more devices sitting here, waiting for a job & pretty sure each will receive it's own ESP8266.

So with all that, one thing I'd welcome in future boards would be a direct plug in support for these Wi-Fi devices on the console.

Even if I don't want an ESP-01 on EVERY device, it's still much more convenient to just go & plug a preconfigured on in for some temporary access, than to make a physical USB connection.

It just work SO good.
None of the devices are physically located near PC's when they are in service, but they are only an IP address away when it comes to updating code & taking a look at what's going on from the console.

One other thing I have wondered about with the Microbridge or 1455;

Pins 9 & 10;

Unused once it's programmed.

I don't suppose it's feasible to use them to connect & redirect either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth modules to the console

AND.....

then have the 1455's firmware have support for re-flashing devices over the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth links.

That would be a huge bonus for the devices buried inside appliances, & other hard to get to physical locations.

I can get that that could be a huge timing nightmare/impossibility, but I'm sure the combined minds behind the Microbridge could say whether it was remotely possible to achieve it or not.

Cheers

Phil.

GoodToGo!

Posted: 07:05am 12 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   I wish you had said that a couple of days ago - I have just ordered more PCB's...

Oops! Well that will learn me for taking a few days researching which board to buy!!!

Actually after posting this topic, I went searching the forum for unrelated stuff and came across the MM eXtreme 100 pin Nav board that matherp and WW have been working on.
Looks the goods, got just about everything I could wish for on it...

Just about......

The research continues....

GTG!

...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024