Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:11 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Bug in MMBasic 5.0404?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:00am 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all.

I think there is a bug in 5.0404 in the way spaces are handled in function calls.

This appears in both the Mk2 code and the MMX code:

> ? asc(",")
> ? asc (",")
> ? mm.ver
> ? mm.device$
Micromite eXtreme

and

> ? asc(",")
> ? asc (",")
> ? mm.ver
> ? mm.device$
Micromite MkII

This is also present on an old 5.02 device I have running:

> ? mm.ver
> ? asc(",")
> ? asc (",")
> ? mm.device$
Micromite MkII

the work around is easy enough but it shouldn't happen

am I going mad?

edit:
a bit more playing, it seems the parser is not complaining about reserved words being used as variables:
> ? chr$(44)
> ? chr$ (44)
>
>
> chr$="fred"
> ? chr$
fred
>
> pi=0
> ? pi
>

basic reserved words shouldn't be permitted as variables, but it isn't consistent (see Pi above).

Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-06-17

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:14am 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the problem is that mmbasic interpreter has to fit in a limited amount of flash - 190k or thereaboust on the MX170 - and so error checking is not 100% perfect.

what you are seeing is asc followed by a space being interpreted as a variable name rather than a function name. because print allows terms to be seperated by whitespace, you then see the value of the variable called asc (zero) followed by the contents of the string "," (a single comma).

upon a little thought, would it be more efficient if the "(" were inclided in the token tables for functions? ie, the table would contain "asc(" instead of just "asc". this would be one for geoff. and should function names ever be interpreted as variable names?

cheers,
rob :-) Edited by robert.rozee 2017-06-17

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:18am 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

that is what I deduced too but white space should always be ignored (except labels and possibly a couple of other instances

robert.rozee said  
should function names ever be interpreted as variable names?

I have never encountered this and it strikes me as a bad idea - hence "reserved words"Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-06-17

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:39am 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  upon a little thought, would it be more efficient if the "(" were inclided in the token tables for functions? ie, the table would contain "asc(" instead of just "asc".

It is which is precisely why "asc (" is not the same as "asc("

{ "Asc(", T_FUN | T_INT, 0, fun_asc },

Functions without parameters are a special case e.g. PI

{ "Pi", T_FNA | T_NBR, 0, fun_pi },

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 06:32am 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why not just ignore all whitespace.
That is how it is done with most programming languages.
If that means the PRINT command has to be changed then i would say that would be good as using a whitespace as a delimiter is very unconventional and can lead to mistakes that are hard to find. It would also help with the problem that keywords are being interpreted as variables.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 06:42am 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MicroBlocks said  
can lead to mistakes that are hard to find.

guess how I came across it

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:18pm 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i recently struck the same problem with a function i had that was called colour$(), recently dragged up from some old code. it took a bit of head-scratching to figure out what was going on!

changing the delimiters for commands would a very big paradigm shift, though not unheard of - consider the differences between python versions 2 and 3. an advantage is that the editor could 'eat' all whitespace within lines when saving and reformat the code upon loading (whitespace at the start of a line and before a comment being the exceptions). functions and subroutines could also be collapsed into a single entity (as in C).

how would folks feel if the print statement required brackets around the parameter list and all parameters seperated by either commas or semicolons? there would be many other changes elsewhere, but the ones to print would be by far the most obvious. it would definitely be something justifying a major version number change, as big for the language as the move from the MX150 to MX170 platform.

geoff: how do you feel about the idea of this being discussed? it would be a departure from microsoft basic compatibility, but may simplify some parts of the interpreter. i would suggest (if it happens) that the first step should be going through and reworking the syntax before starting any modifications to the interpreter's C code, an exercise that could be conducted on the forums.

all just my opinion, nothing else!

cheers,
rob :-)

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:26pm 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes I understand what you mean.

I think, for me at least, it just means I have to be more attentive to how I write stuff just as in strictly typed languages (your example of python is a case in point).

If you know the trap is there it can be avoided. I never forget that MMBasic is free (well, without charge - it is not "free") and dealing with any little wrinkle could

a. require the resources of a full time dev team
b. exclude it from the smaller devices

I'll work around it and not lose any sleep.

GoodToGo!

Posted: 03:49pm 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
If you know the trap is there it can be avoided.

You would think so, but then human factors comes in to play.
I spent an eternity trying to work out why a GUI LED would change colour but not turn 'on' in a control/monitoring program I am working on.

Eventually turns out I had "CTRLVAL (Page1LED(Channel)) = 1" instead of "CTRLVAL(Page1LED(Channel)) = 1"

Stupid thing is the same thing burnt me when I started playing with uMites....
I must be a goldfish. Once around the bowl and it's all new again.

Cheers
GTG!

...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A PRINT statement could also be used as:
[code]
PRINT "Hello ";Name$;"."
[/code]
Just replace the space with a semicolon.
If this is done then whitespace can be skipped as i think PRINT is the only command that does something special with a space.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 16 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the behaviour of print allowing whitespace to seperate terms is certainly something i'd not noticed before i started using micromite basic. have just done a quick check with an old version of cbmbasic (statically recompiled for win32) and it interprets PRINT A B as a command to print the single variable AB.

would modifying the syntax of PRINT to disallow using whitespace as a seperator be sufficient to have the editor 'eat' all whitespace outside of quotes without too much disruption?

cheers,
rob :-)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024