Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:44 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : My 1st Project with a PiZero and MMbasic

jman

Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 24 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi
Sharing is caring so I thought I would share my little Project i did with MMbasic and a PiZero.

The idea was to add bluetooth streaming audio to my car. (Has every other feature hands free calling etc..). So the first attempt was an off the shelf Logitech bluetooth reciever pluged into the Aux inputs this worked rather well but the comments from Co workers and my mates were along the lines of (Come on John were's the song info and surely you can do better than that blah blah). So challenge accepted.

Attempt number two was pretty cool Grogster kindly sent me a Paralax serial to video module I interfaced this to a Microchip RN52 Bluetooth module using a Micromite (170) and now I had a rather retro looking display with the song meta displayed on the Orginal car LCD (via the Video in).

Now came the comments about the 8bit colors and retro look
Attempt number three. Pi Zero same Bluetooth module. And a bash script via the "system " command the outcome looks like this

The system works by getting the song Meta data via the serial port then MMbasic writes this to a txt file and a bash script overlays the text onto a jpg(using Imagemagick) that in turn is displayed via the composite port (using FBI)
One more piece of hardware was added a startup / shutdown controller for the Pi that detects keyon and off.

I am happy to post the files if anybody is interested

Regards
Jman

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 24 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 24 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, that is sophisticated.

EDIT: I can't spell sophisticatedEdited by Geoffg 2017-06-26
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 11:46pm 24 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nice!

first project? VERY nice!

RonnS

Posted: 08:33pm 25 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello jman,
very interesting project.I am currently interested in finding a way for start and shutdown the the raspi with start an mmbasic file

wich hardware did you use and what i have to do to start mmbasic on startup?

respectful greetings

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:38pm 25 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@jman,

Out of interest, I assume you are totally powering down the RPi when the vehicle is 'switched off'.
If this is the case, then how long after turning the ignition on do you have to wait before using your excellent 'set-up'?

I ask as I am looking for a minimised RPi start-up time and you may have something really quick (hopefully )

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

jman

Guru

Posted: 10:01am 27 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@RonnS
Edit your /etc/rc.local file (sudo nano /etc/rc.local) and add "sudo /home/pi/./mmbasic xxx.bas" before the last line (exit 0)

@WW
Yip the Pi is completley powered down when the key is off.
To minimise the startup the biggest gain for me was to use a class 10 SD card and of course no GUI (I used Jessie Lite)

I use a homemade ATX style PSU for normal use and a modified version that has a 18650 cell to supply power when the key is switched off to enable the Pi to shutdown.
I used the 18650 as i did not want to run any extra wires as the system is powered via a lighter socket 5V adapter

I have a few blank PCB's should anybody want one they are not perfect has i forgot to add a 100uf cap across the pic 12f509 but the do work quite well.

Modified version for use in the car (hope it's correct draw after the fact :) )

Regards
Jman

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024