Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:19 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Fruit Of The Shed....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:38am 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Fruit of the shed" - I like it.
Never knew of that site before.
Has this taken over from the MMBASIC Library then?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:12am 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It was set up in december last year with Geoff and Hugh's blessing. "Taken over"? - I wouldn't like to put Geoff on the spot as an official sponsor, I want to make sure stuff doesn't get lost and is available in a clean, searchable, versioned format.

As a wiki, no one person is needed to act as "gate-keeper" (which was an unrealistic and not very fair expectation of Hugh) and everyone can get their shoulder under the load and keep the content coming. It is nicely searchable, fast and articles can be discussed/corrected by registered users to hone our skills and spread knowledge and techniques. More namespaces can be added to cover other areas of interest too and they remain cross-searchable.

It is getting crawled by loads of search engines (some I had never heard of before seeing them in the logs) so it will slowly help raise the profile of MMBasic and 'mites in general (we need an awareness campaign!)

As Geoff correctly predicted, it is taking a while to take off as he said that many
libraries have come and gone and they all started off with bold, fresh-faced intentions but slid into disuse over time

I publish my own stuff on here and am (very) slowly back-filling so it isn't going away. and there are quite a few familiar names from TBS that have created accounts and some have started to publish stuff.

Its running in the VM fabric of my companies data centre (with a 1Gb fibre straight to the net). As "infra" it doesn't need to earn its keep or show a "bottom line" - so it won't attract criticism from the acountants which translates to no Ad's or fees - ever.

I encourage every/anyone to create pages here purely as a repository of stuff that won't get lost or abandoned.

Here is the excerpt from my original mail exchange with Hugh and Geoff regarding the resiliance of the site:

As part of your consideration you may have concerns over how it is hosted - it has to be reliable right? The technical specs of the server environment are below (it is not running on a modem under my bed :o) - It might sound a bit heavy handed for this site but it is simply hosted in my company's platform, so it gets what everyone else gets.

Server:
Windows 2008r2 Enterprise VM
2x2.5GHz CPU
8GB RAM
1TB disk subject to daily off-site full-backup
Patches and malware protection fully up-to-date
Internet connection:
Redundant 1Gb bearer fibre with Zen Internet
IP addresses, DNS and site managed, hosted and registered by my company
Internal LAN Infra:
Firewalled (Citrix NetScaler) 1Gb ethernet backbone
Hosted:
undisclosed datacentre in Milton Keynes, UK (about 4 miles from my home office) with DR to undisclosed datacentre in Northampton, UK

Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-08-03

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:31am 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Okey dokey hokey pokey, thanks.

"Taken over" was perhaps a bad choice of words on my part.....

Ahhh, yes, December 2016 - I was buried neck-deep in lightning-strike damage at the time, so must have missed any posts announcing that site.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:39am 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
Ahhh, yes, December 2016 - I was buried neck-deep in lightning-strike damage at the time, so must have missed any posts announcing that site.

I remember that - followed with interest - it looked like a bad wallop. I really enjoyed the thread - with the very best will in the world! glad you sorted it.Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-08-03

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:00pm 02 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you want me to add a link to fruitoftheshed to the Micromote Basic Library sticky topic?

Give me a preferred landing page address and a bit of a description.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:00am 03 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That makes sense.

I hate writing this sort of stuff: it always sounds like self-aggrandizing, job interview fluff.

For specifically MMBasic things, the landing page should be the home of the namespace:
http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/MMBasic.Default.aspx

Description could include:
* Community driven
* Wiki-based
* Non-commercial

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:01am 03 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Done.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:18am 03 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ta

plover

Guru

Posted: 04:41pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Last time I visited Fruit of The Shed, I found many programs I thought. returned today looking for PWM examples. Trying to look for 'Random Page' and 'All Pages' does not seem to show any examples of code.

Down for maintenance or something? Possible of course that my advanced years failing to understand.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:39pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

plover said   Last time I visited Fruit of The Shed, I found many programs I thought. returned today looking for PWM examples. Trying to look for 'Random Page' and 'All Pages' does not seem to show any examples of code.

Down for maintenance or something? Possible of course that my advanced years failing to understand.

the "random" and "all" links only work within the selected namespace/zone. At the top right corner there is a drop-down where you can choose your main area of interest. Perhaps this is why?

If you use the search box (below the random and all links) that works across all namespaces and you can refine your search afterwards.

does this help?

h

plover

Guru

Posted: 09:19pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing
Thank you very much, I must have tinkered with that 'root' thing last time, this time I thought that looked a bit intimidating and best left alone.

When I tickled the suggested location list there was an option MMBASIC, looked like what I was after. As I was interested in trying to use PWM I searched and got very quick answers.

Those answers seems to me associated with a variable called PWM (I may be wrong) I was however after any code where the PWM built in function(?) was used.

Could I have searched better than just PWM to find the following function?

In MMBASIC 5.4 manual, I have read about the PWM channels 1 and 2, and keen to find out how people use this.

PWM 1, 50Hz, 60%, 40%

As a follow on from the PWM . I am running a Micromite 28 pin version and as I understand it can run at around 40-48 MHz CPU speed. PWM given as max about 500 kHz would the 80 MHz and higher beasts be able to squeeze up over 1 MHz?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but it seems I have managed to get on the wrong side with my second almost identical Micromite, which has been cooperating patiently with me for about a couple of weeks while I struggled to figure how to talk to these two units using Linux/wine combination and MME

Using following one MuP-v2 seemed to do the right thing, lighting 3 LEDs on the MuP-Test board attached. basically a LED on 19 pins to the Micro:

[code]PWM 1, 250, 50,50,50[/code]

Not yet had the CRO on the signals.

The other board the MuP-v3 suddenly decided after the first try to stop communicating at all with MME. Get the message: Can not get a response from the micro. It does connect I believe when that message shows.

Using a termina: Putty and shorting the reset pins sends the banner and slams the door for further communication. Most intriguing.

I have to add I am not too sure about the wine stability on this system, KDE5-os2 or the second system I have set up with MME running.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:57pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

think of the namespaces like folder on a disk: The root is just the parent to all the other folders but they can only ever go one layer deep - all namespaces spring from the root and can never spring from other name spaces. Then the articles are just the files.

The articles are programs and notes written by others so can only show what others have done... on the subject of PWM, I have never really got into it (although I think I should've) so I am not really the person to help you here.

There are some VERY big brains on here and someone will provide the answer.

plover

Guru

Posted: 02:00am 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing
Thanks, I can follow the concep, almost like the / (root) filesystem in linux.

The reason for my interest in MMBASIC PWM is the ability to create a simple squarewave up to 5oo kHz, higher would have been nice but that is good enough for starters.

Start:
pwm 1, 20,50,50,50 ' PWM channel 1, set 20 Hz on 1a,1b,1c, 50% duration of high 1
pause 1000 'wait 1 second
pwm 1,stop 'stop chanel 1
Pause 500 'wait 0.5 second
pwm 2,20,50,50 'start channel 2, set 20 Hz (minimum possible) on 2a,2b only two lines, 50% duration
pwm 2,stop
Pause 2000 'wait 2 seconds
Pwm 2, 500000, 50,50
pause 5000
pwm 2,stop
Pause 3000
pwm 1,250000,50,50,50
pause 5000
goto Start 'repeat over again
' my first program using PWM

Crude yes probably clumsy too but it actually works on the last working Micromite

Channel 1 has 3 pins running same frequency at 50% duty cycle
Channel 2 has 2 pins running same frequency and 50% duty cycle

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 02:24pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

re fruitoftheshed, is it a secure server, maybe https would be better ?

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:30pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

chronic said   re fruitoftheshed, is it a secure server, maybe https would be better ?

What has https to do with a server being secure?

Microblocks. Build with logic.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:25pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

chronic said   re fruitoftheshed, is it a secure server, maybe https would be better ?

I would love to... Unfortunately, certs are not cheap and a recurring cost which gets passed-on directly to the customer. It would break the model I want for FotS as I would have to recoup the cost. The server costs are minimal, but when you start adding bells n whistles, it becomes a problem. Last thing I want is to become dependent on an income - that is the death knell for small community driven stuff. Currently the cost of the servers are easily absorbed in the "infra" budget... a cert on top would mean it has to show a bottom line.

There is nothing of criminal value on FotS and account details (passwords, email addresses) etc. are encrypted locally, so a sniffed password gets you access to that account only - the FotS application is inside the IIS sandbox and accounts have no admin authority over the server (i.e. they only work inside the app). Access to an account could result in vandalism of the site but backups solve that problem. To some nasty little black-hat, the server itself is more of a prize than its content, e.g. to co-opt for some nefarious task.

Even if a registered user (or someone using stolen credentials) decides to fill articles with adverts or drive-bys, each page is monitored as it changes (silent mod) - anything outside of the rules would get taken down.
Edited by CaptainBoing 2017-08-07

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Also Https has already been broken.

There are free certificates available. Never used them as i don't have the need.
I encrypt sensitive data anyway, so hackers would have to guess what it is, actually making it more difficult for them as there is no clue available what the method of encryption is.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024