Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:44 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Voyo mini PC...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:50am 08 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a sexy looking small-PC for home-theatre use:

VOYO MINI PC

I am thinking of getting one of these to play around with. Comes with W10.
Quad-core Intel Apollo Lake 2.1GHz CPU with various choices of RAM and SSD.
I know nothing of this processor, so I will have to do a little reading.

Buyers market these days for computers, and so many of them are so darn cheap!

There are smaller ones then this one, but it looks awesome in it's blue brushed aluminium case!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:19am 08 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pretty good price Grog.

Also not sure about the processor, usually it's tied closely to the price.

I've used a couple of Intel NUC's on client sites, both with 32" FHD TV's as PowerPoint "To Do List" displays.

Both ended up being Core i5's, as fortunately it's a client that insists on known quality & then likes to spend above requirements.

Like to know exactly which OS it ships with; there's a Win 10S, which I'm not that familiar with, but believe it's distributed at zero cost, but is locked to the App Store.

IE, you couldn't just drop Teraterm & MMedit on it; not without going to the App Store first & purchasing a Win10 Pro upgrade.

Phil.

Edit:

Have a search also for mini, micro & nano-ITX form factor boards.
Will show you what the known name board manufactures have on offer.

Edited by Phil23 2017-08-09

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:52am 08 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting, but: "4, The Operating System is just for testing, copied and activated but not licensed, please install the licensed one by yourself if you prefer."

And (perhaps not referring to this item): "Branded Spare Parts, Boyscott Fake Parts!!"

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:55pm 08 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Phil23 - I already have a UDOO x86 mini PC board and this is smaller then the blue one above, but I do like the look of the blue one. I have used many a mini-ITX board. They are the basis of most of my builds now, for anything other then a gaming rig.

@ lizby - WELL SPOTTED! I missed that bit. However, that is not really a deal-breaker for me cos the price of these things is rather good - even if you have to install Windoze yourself. Although, that DOES take away from it's attractiveness for some I would say. For media-player use, I would install OpenELEC x86 anyway(Linux), so would not need a valid Windoze licence. You can buy Windoze keys from places like Kinguin, and I have never had any problem activating those licenses.(I think they are old OEM license keys)

EDIT: Review of this mini PC here.

EDIT: It would appear to have a noisy cooling fan when it comes on, so THAT might be a deal-killer. I hate fan-noise with a vengeance.... I think I will install OpenELEC on my UDOO x86 first while I have a think about this thing. Other videos you can click on after that one above, show you the internals of the blue one, and it does appear to be quite well designed and thought out, with upgradable SSD and RAM which is often not possible on these smaller designs.Edited by Grogster 2017-08-09
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024