Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:13 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : PCB making lingo

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 09:38am 29 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I order my PCB's from China there are two expressions I'm not sure what they mean.

Could somebody tell me what "HASL" stands for?

Also, what does "tented", as in 'tented' vias, mean?

Thank you.
Klaus

plover

Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 29 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HASL

HASL or hot air solder leveling is a type of finish used on printed circuit boards (PCBs). The PCB is typically dipped into a bath of molten solder so that all ...

quoted from wiki, just google HASL
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwil8cWw2sDiAhX87nMBHfvHBocQFjAA egQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHot_air_solder_leveling&usg=AOvVaw10i3gdZu8MChlr1PtiV24G

google "via tenting"

Quoting:
Via Tenting for PCB Design. Tenting a via refers to covering via with soldermask to enclose or skin over the opening

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 29 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, did not think that google would know that
Klaus

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 09 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yup.
There are two ways to tin a PCB.
You can electroplate it in a chemical bath, or dip int into real solder and blow off all the excess with compressed air. This is generally preferred for mass production because its much faster.
Cheers,  Tony.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:57am 10 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

....and then you can get gold-plated PCB's, which some people swear by, but I am not convinced of the extra cost vs benefits.

Gold-plating edge-connectors is a good idea though, as it prevents corrosion.
Depends on what you want to do.

And there is also "Blind vias" and "Buried vias"
Blind ones start on one side of the board, and connect to an internal layer, but DON'T travel right through to the other side of the board, and buried vias link points on the internal layers only, and are not visible at all from either the top or bottom layers of the board. Blind and buried vias cost a lot more to get done, so use plain vias if at all possible - even on four-layer boards, as it will save money.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024