Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:26 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : 16 bit upgrade board for the Commodore 128

RC_tech

Posted: 08:11am 05 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I posted this here because the project is designed for a PCB.

I'm Commodore user with a fondess for the C128. I also have the acclerator cards Flash8 and SuperCPU 128, which are extremely expensive nowadays. The cost is always a factor for me. Todays retro hardware is all FPGA based and much to expensive. An accelerator board for the Amiga 500 for more than 300 Euro? That's crap.

I have an idea for a 16bit upgrade board for the C128. No accelerator, 98% compatibility. Everything are standard components, no SMD, maybe except the RAM. So, only the PCB has to be produced. The estimated costs for the components are about 50-60 Euro. The main purpose is for the demoscene. Of course it can be used in C64 mode, but not so comfortable.

If anyone is interested and is able to layout a board, I can provide more details.

Greets, RC.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 04:29pm 05 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know what you are talking about, the Vampire is very expensive, and it seems that it either works or it doesn't. In my case, doesn't.

I've got three of the things that you need, a decent collection of C128's (several of them in fact), experience designing boards with KiCAD, and plenty of time on my hands.

I'd love to help out. :)

RC_tech

Posted: 05:02pm 05 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That would be great. If anyone else is interested, I can write more information.
Edited 2020-07-06 03:24 by RC_tech

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:02am 10 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi RC,

I might be interested in helping as well, but I don't want to take away from Simple's offer.

Although if you want to sell these then SMD is probably the way to go and you can get these made and assembled in China for next to nothing.

Post away.

Kind Regards

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 02:12am 10 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No problem at all. :)

I've done enough boards to be dangerous. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. :)

ice2642

Posted: 01:01pm 29 Aug 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One FPGA like cyclone IV is not so much spencive.

Some components of a c64 is out of production.

Have you ever thought of doing something like minimig or migstorn-itx with a cheap FPGA + a 68000 (to be 16bit) or even a 6510 if you want to be compatible with c64.

I think the current minimig has many shortcomings that could be improved with a new board.

If the idea is demoscene, having the real cpu with the chips in the FPGA would already solve your problem and it can cost much less than the 600 euros of a vampire sucking blood and kidneys.

Best regards,
MMBasic 5.0707 on PicoMite VGA

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024