Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:28 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : Q & A for AutoTRAX DEX

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:34am 01 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Can we use this thread for questions on HOW can we do (such and such)... and Can AutoTRAX DEX do `this' .... etc?

Just to try to keep our forum clean and organised to help everyone find what they need easier.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

plover

Guru

Posted: 03:00pm 01 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik

I think we can recover your thread from my posts

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8671

As I understand if you delete your posts I can get back to mine and also delete mine this cleans up your thread.

I will continue in this thread then.

Yes it has something to do with double clicking but for some reason I can not yet make head or tails of it.

My test for that normally would be, do the highligting of folder, single click, and then hit the ENTER key, I thought this was universal failsafe to open folder/programs etc.

Mouse is set to: point to highlight and single click to open. Point does not highlight folder, single click does and double click allows rename.

When I double click the folder name can be edited, normally I expected hacving go right click -> rename for that.

Need more experimenting, out of time again. Just having lost my original post here by hitting the wrong key, of course it was just about ready to post. That ate my time slot for now Edited by plover 2016-06-03

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 01 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Plover,

Ok, that worked... I deleted mine, Now if you can delete your 2 before someone else posts then we can continue as suggested.

Kind Regards,

Mick

plover

Guru

Posted: 04:28pm 05 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Referring to the male/female descriptor for headers, in the tips an tricks thread

Almost figured out how to add the header male/female indication. My main problem getting the "circle/disk" placed on the grid centre.

I have been unable to find the 'centre' as grab point when trying to move an object, in this case the circular object.

I have left an elliptic formed object so I can ask how do I snap to cirle, ie is there a way to ensure it is a circle I am placing.

Believe I noticed very fine incremental changes in the x and y axis when making a circle?

If running a very fine step in snap to grid, is it possible to bring the grid to the front so that one can place object 'spot on' first time?

plover

Guru

Posted: 02:23am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Hi Plover,

Hold Ctrl down and the elipse snaps to a circle.

Once your circle is drawn just drag it to the location you want, experiment with the snap grid settings on the top (middle) tool bar.

Also if you want you can change the colour of the outline and the inner fill by clicking on the boxes just to the right of the shapes menu.. currently it is set for BLACK outline and GREY fill.

Of course if you load a part and edit it to put what ever marker you chose you can then save that part away and it will bring in your markings with it.

Kind Regards,

Mick[/quote]

Thanks. I have copied your answer in the "Tips and Tricks" for some continuation of the questions.

About changing colours, I assumed this would easy enough but have not looked at doing it yet. Was tempted to try and change the grey colour but thought I would wait until I can make a part or at least edit parts. Just in case I thought I would like a small change.

I wal go and check the ctl snap.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:31am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Plover,

This picture might help,

It shows the effect of the 3 different type ellipses,

Note that I have set the BORDER to RED and the FILL to GREEN to show the impact on each type of ellipse.

Kind Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-06-07

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:35am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another Tip,

When drawing Shapes..

Pressing Ctrl whilst sizing will make X=Y, ie make a square or circle instead rectangle/ellipse
Pressing SHIFT whilst sizing will centre on the starting point/.
Pressing SHift AND Ctrl will do both centre and X=Y

Kind Regards,

Mick

plover

Guru

Posted: 02:36am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have notice a couple of times, when I open DEX it open with a new empty schematic (new Project?) not sure why, I was expecting that my previous "test" would pop up?

Edit:
I think this is just a matter of getting the saving right. I have manage at least to save a project and retrieve it again. Not sure yet when opening DEX first time after startup.
Edited by plover 2016-06-07

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:39am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Plover,

Usually it opens your last SAVED project, however I have seen this not happen after an update to a later version.. I am not 100% sure but I think this happens when I manually download the install file as opposed to letting DEX do it for me.

Kind Regards,

Mick

plover

Guru

Posted: 03:20am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have found tha SHIFT when sizing is what I am after, circle get centred around the line start point. I had to experiment with snap setting I think it was 5 points per grid. using the default grid, but I have got the idea. I can now mange to get the circle exactly where I want it.

Yep I also understand at least changing line colours, and I think the fill colour below. That is from your nice instructions.

I have placed a vertical red line and horizontal black line on top of the header just to get the 'proper' center point, as a helper for the time.

The circles to the right just experiments where I noticed I had coarse steps and fiddle around.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:31am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Plover,

Another TIP.

You can add vertical and horizontal guide lines if you prefer..

You first need to make sure that in the View/Snap key tab, under the View sub set that Guide lines are made visible. Then drag from the top ruler to add a horizontal guide line and the left hand ruler to make a vertical guide line..

Drop them where you need them.

You can also do angled ones but I have to retire for the night so I can't say off hand how you create them.

I didn't attach a screen cap as you wouldn't see the guide with TBS picture compression.. Guide them a ago they can be very useful,

Kind Regards,

Mick

plover

Guru

Posted: 03:35am 06 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks may get chance to test this tomorrow evening.

I have just confirmed that I now can get DEX to open automatically the last file open when I closed DEX and the pc. Restarting pc and DEX works fine. I am a few edition behind but for this work I don't think it matters.

Yes it is my ZZzzz... time as well.

Well the guides took me a little while, I did not read your instructions properly. I found out that hitting the 'Guides' icon it turns a brownish colour, indicating on. Then I missed out the 'dragging from the ruler' but now I have got it. Yes it works fine.

When I use the 'Add' menu and pick an object like, open circle. As soon as I have placed the circle/ellipse the menu closes which is a bit inefficient if I want to add from it again?

Is there a way of keep 'Add Menu' open?

I found that right clicking, the drop down window shows an option at the bottom called 'Auto Repeat' which does not seem to allow repeating the last action?

Well I take back above sentence, now it does seem to work Edited by plover 2016-06-08

plover

Guru

Posted: 03:43am 09 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I have started another 'user', ie up to now I have been using 'administrator' rights, just to make sure that there would be no permissions problems. Tonight I decided to run as 'user' there has not been a 'named user' setup on this system.

DEX seemed a bit slow starting up, but when opening it seemed clear it was not the same file system access.

Now it seems that when a menu item like "Add.." selected this will stay open. I have also right clicked and selected "Autorepeat command" thus if laying out a resistor the action can be repeated very fast (same value)

Not sure why 'Administrator' use of DEX in my case has this automatic menu close when command implemented. Very likely some fault of mine.

----------------------------------------

Went back and used 'Administrator' again this time I let DEX download and install itself. The update maintained all my settings it appears. I was hoping that the autoclosing of the menu line would have been reset to stay open.

Suddenly found out that, it is the socalled 'ribbon' that seemed to autoclose. At the same time I also found out that I was running with "Minimise ribbon" ticked. Some time ago I had already tested this but I did not seem to detect any difference. Anyway most likely me that was and still is too unfamilar with the lot of the terminology.

Unticking and the ribbon stays open when selected. This is desirable for a beginner. Seasoned operator may well take advantage of the 'minimise action.Edited by plover 2016-06-11

plover

Guru

Posted: 10:21pm 12 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have managed to loose the location of Windows Explorer inside DEX, I had just found it but now I cant't locate it. I think I have updated since finding Explorer so I am not too concerned.

Ibelieve the shortcut was located at the very right edge on one of the menus?

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:23pm 13 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Plover,

Windows Explorer inside DEX???

Well if it is there it has got me then.. I have never seen it and I wonder what you would want it for.

Kind Regards,

Mick

plover

Guru

Posted: 04:31pm 14 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik
I can understand your surprise, I was idly checking icons one at a time in a menu when I believe I saw it, the tooltip said "explorer" and when I clicked on it the normal Windows Explorer file manager popped up, funny because at the time I was thinking about removing a few folders from the library, I had been a bit too enthusiastic installing folders which did not belong there.

Now I think it is at least two updates ago, last night I had another quick look but so far I have not seen the option again. Perhaps I was dreaming, if so it was a very real dream to me.

When I thought why is it here, I then wondered if it somehow was set default window would be starting somewhere in the DEX file path. I don't remember confirming this and I don't remember what distracted me from following up on the use.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024