Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:48 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : tinning the PCB tracks

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:38am 01 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many years ago I came across a tinning solution in a bottle.

This was just wiped over the tracks of an etched board, tinning the tracks and preventing oxidization.

Is that stuff still available? What is it called so I can search for it?

I normally use PCB laquer on my simple boards but now have made one where I need to connect (screw on) something to the tracks.

Thanks.
Klaus

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:39am 02 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Klaus,

Liquid Tin

But it is not cheap.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:19pm 02 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I,ve used a tinning paste many years ago . worked magic on copper pipe and any copper or brass surface,just steel wool (stainless) the surface area ,heat with either propane torch or similar and wipe it off with a clean rag for perfect coating.

used it every day at work on copper air pipes .

You can tell if it's good --the small tin of the stuff is heavy.

Bruce
Bushboy

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:21am 03 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks guys, good tips.

I did some more googling on the subject and found a kind of metal bristle brush that fitted into a soldering iron. Loading that with solder and flux paste coat the tracks apparently is the cat's meouw on tinning tracks - but its expensive (to me).

So, rummaging in my odds & ends box I found small a brass cleaning brush (works a bit like a lip stick - you twist one end and the bristles come out the other).

So I'm modifying this, just pull out the bristle bundle and fit them into a copper 3/8" pipe which suits my old Weller soldering iron.

I think it should work, I'll let you know.
Klaus

greybeard

Posted: 10:24pm 03 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If it's only a small area that needs to be tinned and the rest can be covered with pcb lacquer then use a 'pre-loved' piece of soderwick. Just hit it with some solder then apply it over the track to be tinned. It will leave a neat thin coating of solder on the pcb.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024