Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:12 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : DEX TO-220 Horizontal 3-D Part

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 01:03pm 15 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was wondering if anyone had a ready to go TO-220 part... Regulator, transistor, FET, that I could just edit the mane and pins to make something different..? I have never done the "3-D" thing in DEX, and didn't see a horizontal footprint in the "Part Wizard" in the standard parts or "custom" section... There are "non 3-D" footprints in other Libraries... Maybe it's time to learn how this is done, but not sure where to get the 3-D models of standard parts or how to attach the model while in the part editor...

Thanks Gent's..!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:10am 16 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Zonker,

I am at work tonight and going away early tomorrow morning for a well earned week off.. So I doubt I could do a part for you until I get back (make that a few days after Christmas).

If you are still needing one then I will create one for you.

Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-12-17
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 01:22am 16 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure if this will help. Was something I was playing around with.

2016-12-16_112100_TO-220Flat.zip

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:48am 16 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Zonker,

Just a quick attempt,, Unfortunately too short time for me .. about to go on holiday now.

Hope it is what you want.
Kind Regards,

Mick

2016-12-16_214846_TO-220_Flat.zip

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 01:51pm 16 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much Gent's for the quick response..! I know time slots get very tight around Christmas time.. I will take a peek at the parts this weekend... I am sure this will be a big time saver for me..!

I am trying to create a contractor drive and verification board and want the PCB to look "3-D" nice when finished... Since I currently can't do a "3-D" part, your help is much appreciated..!!

Thanks..!

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 02:39pm 16 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow...

I had to take a peek... Nice..!! I have both... One with heatsink, one without... (Sweet!)... Thanks to you Gent's, the rest should be easy..!

Big tip of the hat to ya fine Sir's..!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:45pm 17 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Zonker,

When I get back from sunny Mildura (literally an oasis in the middle of the desert).. I will explain how I went about the part creation..

You can download 3D parts from one of several sites, unfortunately I do not have the URLs with me here..
Then you can load these into the part you created to give the pretty 3D effect.

Regards,

Mick

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 04:55pm 17 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick...

I am also trying to get a good "through hole" USB connector, and am looking on the "3-D ContentCentral" site... The ones they have to download are from ASSMANN WSW Components... After looking them up, they seem to be at EOL status.. Will keep poking around for a good part that is current and I can a 3-D model for... The TE USB connectors at DigiKey look good.. Most are SMT types... They have a PDF file you can download that contains the 3-D model... Sweet..! But, how do you extract the model data file from the PDF..? Attached one for you to have a peek at...

Thanks Mick for your help on this..!

I will try and learn how to create some of the 3-D parts I need... I hope it isn't to hard to get one right...

2016-12-18_025426_ENG_CVM_1734327-1_C.pdf

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:09pm 17 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Zonker,

I have a good part for a THP USB I did for my MuP3 PCB. (Link to my site in my signature below) that is a MINI-USB... The connectors are easy enough to source..

I cannot send you the part until after Christmas..

Regards,

Mick

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 05:34pm 19 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick..! That would be awesome...

I have been trying to create a 3D part myself, and have chosen the Model: UJ2-MIBH-4-SMT micro USB connector from CUI... This connector is made to protrude 3mm from the edge of the PCB and would be useful to get the connector shell to go through the wall of the enclosure (or box) holding the PCB... It is different from the many types of connectors that are flush to the PCB edge... So, I thought it might be a useful part to add to the collection..

I have the part pads and mounting holes created as well as the schematic symbol and now need to add the 3D model... What model "file format" is needed..? I watched the video on the DEX site as Iylia seems to be pointing to "XGL" type files... The CUI website allows you to download many different types of models, but I don't know what type of program generates the "XGL" file type...

Here is the CUI Model I am trying to download...

Could you have a peek and let me know if any of these selections would produce the needed model file type..?

Thanks Mick for your help on this.. (I am such a newbie)

Hopefully one of the selections would work..!!

EDIT: - I did manage to down the STL type model which did import to the part design... I was not able to move the part along the "Z" axis to get it to the correct height.. STL files seem to lack any "color" information... Yikes... Getting late here... Will fuss with it more tomorrow after work... Edited by Zonker 2016-12-21

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 19 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Zonker,

That link didn't work .. At least on my iPad ... But I found the part on trace parts..

Off the top of my head I used to download the SOLIDWORKS 3D then load it into autodesk INVENTOR to save out as an XGL part and load this into DEX ... Then Iliya implemented VRML / WRL import which works but there is always a magnification factor that needs to be set when you import the 3D into Dex ...

Trial and error gets this right and it seems it varies from part to part, the sample I did for the TO220 took me 6 or 7 size adjustments to get it right.. Still no real problem at about 10sec per attempt..

Once the part is loaded you can select it in 3D view and rotate and move it until you are happy with the alignment to your pads..

Regards,

Mick
Edited by bigmik 2016-12-21

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 20 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mick...

I followed your second suggestion first and tried playing with the 3D file type "WRL" and noticed the scale setting issue also... Seems weird to me that the 3D model wouldn't be rendered exactly 1:1.. But, whatever... While playing with scaling, (ended up at 10), I noticed I was not able to move the 3D model up and down along the Z axis... Not sure why this was... Next day, following your first suggestion, I took the Soildworks 3D model to work and had our Inventor guy (Stephen Teppen) convert this into a "XGL" output object file and tried again tonight... Well, it seems everything seems to have turned out OK..

You can take a peek at it when you get back home..!

2016-12-21_041538_UJ2-MIBH-4-SMT.zip

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:03pm 21 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Zonker,

That looks a nice part to add to our collection of USB connectors (I have a MINI USB THP and SMD)

Now you stated you wanted a good `THROUGH HOLE' but that one you have designed is a SMD type? Did you just mean Through Hole for the mounting?

If you think there is a possibility of the connector being torn off you can also add two solder pads (one on each side of connector and then a wire can be wrapped over the connector and soldered down (via the pads) to provide some extra strength.

Mick

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 02:35am 22 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mick..!

I hope you had a chance to peek at it... Yep, I was concerned about having good support and wanted through hole main supports for the main body of the connector.. It's ok if the pins are SMT...

I would like to get a DEX 3D parts library stored somewhere so everyone can post and share parts... I kinda got the idea of how to create them now, but need a good source of 3D models to choose from... Still need phoenix type connectors, X-tal's ect... I wish the DEX part creator had access to a more complete 3D part collection...

Still poking around for good parts... Merry Christmas to ya Mick..! Hope you have a good holiday..!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:07pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Zonker, All,

I have finally had a look at the part.

Looks great. I think I might start using that one as MINI USB is likely to be superseded by Micro USB.

I have to admit I didnt really like the solder tab sizes/shapes for the mounting legs.. They had no `meat' on them and would tear away with little effort IMHO so I changed the pad size to 2.5mm x 1.5mm ..
I also changed the shape from an oval to a rounded rectangle (done in properties when the pad is selected)

I have attached a ZIP with my two MINI USBs and my modified version of yours..

2016-12-26_230737_USB_Connectors.zip

Kind Regards,

Mick

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 03:52pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mick...

It says your online, so I wanted to know where you get your models from...

So far I have found 3D Content Central and TraceParts and was wondering where is other good places...

Also, do you have any "file type" converters... (or need any)..?

Do you all ways use the "VRML" file type on your downloads..?

Do you think a common 3D parts library could be kept here at TBS or somewhere else that we could add to and share parts..? I am not sure how many people would want this, but sure makes for some good looking size modles that could be exported into other mechanical CAD packages, (Solidworks, Inventor, ect..) that would show exactly how your PCB would fit into, let's say a DIN rail BOX or PCB holder, and could be a finished product or Sub assembly used in a bigger machine design...

Thanks Mick for your time and thoughts on this..! Edited by Zonker 2016-12-28

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 04:10pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Zonker,

I really only use these sites,

3Dcontent Central
3D TraceParts

But here are a couple of others that I have found but I havent really used them so I cant say how good they are.

DipTrace 3D models
3D Exchange
Pixel Squid
Grab Cad

And this online format converter

Online 3D converter

I also have a 2.15GB self extracting archive from I think Diptrace that is 2.15GB in size that is chock a block with 3D models for PCBs.. I do not know how I can get this to you except via a DVD or USB stick..

Kind Regards,

Mick

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 04:20pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool...

I tried to attach the PDF file for the USB con... To big...

I will be trying to make more parts... Will post them for you to check and mod up as you see fit... Just re-post any changed ones so we can keep "in-sync"..

Thank you fine Sir..!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:21pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Zonker,

Don hosts a `small' collection of parts I made that may be out of date. One day I would like to fix them up but they are a start for someone who needs something that isnt a standard part.

DEX Library of Parts

I am sure Don would not mind adding other parts to this collection.. However the 2GB+ file of 3D parts I would think he would baulk at a bit.. That would shoot his bandwidth quite a bit if it gained a lot of hits.

If you approve the changes I made to your pads then I will pass the new micro USB onto Don to add. If you have more just PM Don and I am sure he will oblige.

Now I didnt answer all of your questions (I have come down with conjunctivitis and cant see from one eye and I had to see a doc earlier) I am most certainly interested in good format converters, especially one to creat .XGL format.. The only one I know of is AutoDesk Inventor and that is expensive.

I usually download SOLIDWORKS (2014) format and use inventor to save an XGL but it is not easy and doesnt always convert properly and I need to `paint' colours sometimes, so recently I have been using VRML/WRL format but the stuff around on resize is a bit of a pain..

Kind Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-12-28

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 05 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Howdy Mick..

Sorry about not getting back to you.. (just plum forgot)

Sure, Add it to the collection... I hope we can get a collection of PCB interface connectors going also... (phoenix, molex, wago, ect...) There are many kinds of IC packages that could be added, as well as others.. I just are wondering why we can't get downloads in "XGL' format... We should be able to be using "WRL", and I will try again to get this to work... Haven't had mush time to "invest in this lately...

So, time will tell... I will post completed parts for you to peek at soon...Edited by Zonker 2017-01-06

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024