Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:16 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : vertical resistors

Alastair

Posted: 12:23pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been using Autotrax for a while now and have successfully had my first boards made in China - happy with the result. It was also my first use of SMD components which took me a while to master but now ok provided I do not try to go too small. 0402 capacitors beat me!

My current project is a monitor/control board for the LiFePO4 batteries in my expedition vehicle (Isuzu NPS300) using a MM+ Explore 100. My electronics bg started 50 years ago as a lad, now having retired I have resumed interest and getting up to date.

Because of the above I have a lot of through the hole components and will use them where sensible. I would like to make Trax mount the resistors vertical to save board space but cannot find a way to do it. Can the gurus point the way or should I just switch to smd or lay them flat?

alastair
Cheers, Alastair

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:09pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would have thought that Autotrax would let you mount vertical resistors at 2.5mm pin spacing......

I don't have Autotrax so can't really help, but I was intrigued by your post, as I would have thought that vertical resistors would be allowed for in the package. If not, then I guess they expect all through-hole parts to be laid flat.

I remember commercial single-sided PCB's from radios that were all discrete components, and the density on those things was something to behold. All the resistors were vertical, and squeezed in there so tight, along with all the transistors and caps - a real forest of vertical mounted parts.

Those resistors tended to have painted leads, so that when mounted, the paint would prevent the tail ends from touching each other or anything else and causing a short.

Memories.....
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 04:42pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can find some vertical resistors in the parts library

Latest F4 Latest H7

Alastair

Posted: 07:48pm 04 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Disco4now - Now why did I not find it there. I searched, tried help - grrr.

I knew it would be there somewhere. Thanks.

Grogster - yes many times I built or repaired boards like that. I am trying hard to become 'modern' but I have a lot of the old style parts and unless I really need to make things small then I will persist.

I have recently moved to the MM domain as I had been using PicAxe for some projects and found the limitation of math functions and FP variables getting too much. I was using it for far more than it was ever intended. I am used to using big systems for scientific stuff.

Very impressed by what you guys have achieved in a short time and have found the PIC devices very good especially with the support for screens and touch panels. It makes it easy to have a good user interface.

cheers

Cheers, Alastair

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:52pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see no reason why you cannot use a capacitor footprint to mount a resistor, its just two holes and two pads.

Cheers,  Tony.

Alastair

Posted: 06:09pm 05 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tony,
yes you are right and that was my fall back but I wanted the schematic to be correct and I was sure it would be there somewhere.
cheers

Cheers, Alastair

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:26pm 06 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Alastair said  I have recently moved to the MM domain as I had been using PicAxe for some projects and found the limitation of math functions and FP variables getting too much. I was using it for far more than it was ever intended. I am used to using big systems for scientific stuff.

Yes, I too was one who migrated to MM from Picaxe, as the MM is just so juicy with it's processing speed, resources and memory.

....with no disrespect to Picaxe....
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Alastair

Posted: 06:49pm 06 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Success. I managed to squeeze it all in and keep the 3"x2" size I wanted. Learnt more about AutoTrax which is good. Starting to get the feel and how to get it to do what I want.

I am sure the experts will see some bad things. Hints welcome.
cheers

Cheers, Alastair

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024