Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:44 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : .pcbdoc files??

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:15am 24 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So I'm using the free express pcb program and so far have home etched my boards by the tone transfer method. OK for single sided boards.

Now I have two boards I would like double sided with plated through holes.
Send them to China I'm told.

That's fine with me but I rather not have to learn all about gerber files if there is another way.

Now, PCBWAY apparently do .pcbdoc files as well. So I'm informed via email just now.

My pcb express program creates .pcb files.

Does anybody know what the difference is and if my files can be converted?

As a last resort even gerber files would do but only if there was a cheap (free ) way to convert.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Klaus

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 24 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try sending your PCB Express files to PCB Way anyhow, they may not be able to use them but its definitely worth a try.

I went through all of this myself and could not find ANYONE in China that could use the PCB Express files. I finally gave up trying.

But only a few weeks ago I was having trouble downloading my very first Gerber files to PCB Way, and the nice lady there gave me a list of file formats they could use, and I am pretty sure .PCB was among them.
I may be totally wrong about that, and maybe it was .PCBdoc files. I have deleted the e-mail reply from PCB Way, so cannot now go back and see exactly what was on that list.

I vaguely remember someone on this forum saying quite recently that PCB Way have some software you can buy for $99 that converts the PCB express files into Gerbers. But I cannot recall who here said that or the exact details.

If it exists, that software might be a very prudent buy, because it then opens up the whole low cost Chinese PCB manufacturing market to you.
Cheers,  Tony.

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 09:45pm 24 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tony, I did have an email correspondence with the nice lady at PCBWAY with regard to my uploaded .pcb files. They *cannot* read them.
Only .pcbdoc files but I have no idea what those are.

So I think I have to go and download DesignSpark as madness recommended. Apparently its free and does Gerber files.

I'm not that keen to buy some conversion program for my express pcb files, there are not enough boards on the waiting list to warrant the expense.

Unfortunately a new PCB design program means another steep learning curve for my reluctant grey matter .
Klaus

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 24 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes learning new software is certainly a "shock and awe" experience.

I have no knowledge of Design Spark, so cannot offer an opinion.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024