Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:30 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Back from Murray Bridge

F&P murray

Posted: 10:30am 02 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi every one

well i put up the Delta F @ P stator in horrendous winds and i must admit it didnt come up to my expectations. While blowing a gale the best i could get was 8 volts and no amps. I checked every thing and it was all okay or was it? the F @ Ps run very very well on star with  wooden blades but are they suitable for delta, remember delta requires a lot of revs probably twice the amount of star . A 2.4 metre spanned wooden blade system wont cut it for delta but i think that a 1.8 metre plastic or alloy blade set up will spin much much faster remember short presice blades in multiples are going to move very quickly they have to it takes less to turn them they have little weight, my timber blades weigh 8 kilos each taking in to account of one third of the steel disks i use, so this means a whole new approach to a windmill if you want it in delta, i will keep working on it and keep you guys updated. Now for the 4 stator F @ P that i have been promising, it is about 50% done, this is the 4 stub system and it is comimg together well, Glenn has offered to put the cad design up for me but this is a hand drawn plan so i will scan the image when all bugs are out and email it to Glenn for forwarding to the site. In other news while travelling to Murray bridge last week i decided to call on a person that has a Soma 1000 on top of a hill just out of Callington, i have admired this windmill for a couple of years and have allways admired the setup. he has a 45 footer with a gin pole and i cant remember when in the many times i travelled past it that it was not spinning very quickly. he told me that in the 2 1/2 years he has had the the system being a big 2 volt x  12 battery system giving 24 volts he has never turned on the back up generator. The Soma has a two blade setup and makes a lot of noise but supplies all his needs, he is biulding a two story house on that hill and the power requirement will rise, i will keep you updated.  Bob

Bob from Murray Bridge, SA

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:00am 03 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry to hear the Delta didn't work too good, buts its all a learning curve.

Good read. You can be our roving reporter.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

KiwiJohn
Guru

Posted: 04:46am 03 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob,  if I remember my theory star should be 1.4 times the volts of delta.

If you are using bigger diameter blades the RPM may be less but the amount of power available is greater,  you just need to tap into it efficiently.

There is a way to convert that 8 volts into any voltage you require.  Although practically nobody associated with home grown windmills seems to like transformers you could use them to convert that eight volts into any voltage you like.  If you can find any 240/110 transformers you could connect them across your 8 volts and get about 17 volts from them,  just a thought and might be easier than taking everything down to rejumper your stator which according to my guess would only give you about 11 and a bit volts anyway.

BTW, what happens if you short the leads? 

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024