Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:42 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : A new VAWT that looks promising

solarmike

Posted: 10:02pm 05 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I met some people from Niagara Wind Power from Ontario, Canada and they told me about a new wind turbine that they say will revolutionize residential wind energy use. It takes advantage or the slope of the roof to increase wind speed. It also uses a ring of permanent magnets that rotate around a fixed stator.

Has anyone else heard of this machine?

Michael Chownyk

Alternative Energy Resources
138 Bakersfield Dr., N1R 6X7
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Tel: (416) 805-8903 Fax: (519) 624-9737

solarenergy@rogers.com

I am solarmike

Megawatt Man

Posted: 07:27am 23 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's another, at

http://www.thewatt.com/article938.html.

This design uses vertical airfoils around a Savonius rotor. The vertical pieces conduct the wind into a narrow space, in which the rotor operates. TSRs are above 1, efficiencies are claimed to be around 40%. Its a bit like a carburettor venturi, where the restriction causes increased velocity and lower pressure. They seem to use 5 or 6 vertical "guides" and they are arranged so that they shield the back of the Savonius vanes, so the wind pressure does not tend to drive them backwards. Using the 5 or 6 guides around the rotor means that they don't have to turn them to face the wind. There has to be something in this development.
Megawatt Man

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:36am 23 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like VAWT's, and I think they have a future once the bugs are sorted out and accepted by the HAWT crowd. I have 2 VAWT's and 2 HAWT's here, and the VAWT's are always running while the HAWT's do nothing.

Another one worth looking at is the Ropatec design. There is a 6kw unit at Townsville, Australia. More info here http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/Articles/TownsvilleStran dWindmill.asp

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

makourain

Posted: 11:45am 24 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024