Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:57 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Automatic Braking for Sunning WT

Qasim

Posted: 01:02am 25 Oct 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have a 600W Sunning wind turbine installed, and atm, it has a manual braking system, which is just a simple switch, which when on, I assume shorts the three output wires of the WT, and its stops spinning. The datasheet for WT says it has "ele-magnetic" braking. I wanted to know if this system is safe enough? What if I switch the manual brake off when the WT is running at it maximum rated speed? Will it cause arcing?

Also, I am looking to automate the brakes, so that I can peacefully leave the WT in on state forever, and it can self-manage.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 02:19am 28 Oct 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I installed a 450w/12v version in the windiest place I have ever seen and it worked just fine, like trees grow leaning over and all the branches on one side windy.
the drag on the blades self limit it in high wind conditions and I have never seen one scramble the magnetic flux and run away.

I dont recall it every having problems stopping when the brake was thrown.

the problems we had was with the settings on the controller not being adjustable and eventually the mosfets that bypassed to the big resistor on the back blew up and I couldn't fix it or buy a decent cheap replacement.

I saw this one happily purring away while roofs were being torn off sheds and houses all around it on several occasions.

if yours shorts the 3 phases to electro-brake then in theory it could get hot in the windings and melt or burn some insulation off, my gut feeling is the blades will come off before that happens.

I might see if sunning will sell me a modern controller and we can put the ol dog back up, they are a lovely turbine!
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Qasim

Posted: 10:10pm 28 Oct 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is the turbine!

http://www.sunning.com.au/Products/small_wind_turbine/51.html

Qasim

Posted: 12:44am 19 Nov 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you find anything?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024