Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:42 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : making blades quieter

rgormley

Posted: 02:48am 22 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i have a 3 set of fibreglass pulltruded blades that came with a mill kit i assembled, they work well, BUT noisy, i have shaped them as best i can , but need advise to more shaping to cut down on noise.

they are contstant curved 1.2metrs each about 130mm wide.

Regards,

Richard

hey bruce downunder  where did you get those new blades from? any details. who where contacts?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:47am 22 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard.

I've heard those blades make a bit of noise. As they are a constant angle over the full length, the noise is most likely due to part of the blade stalling at any given wind speed. The perfect blade should have a twist. But hey, those windmills are a good price so who's complaining.

You could try rounding the tips, but I dont think this will help much. The best solution is a new set of blades with twist. I bought a set of 6 blades from EcoInn ( see the link page ) for about $220 AUD a couple of years ago, they run very fast and I think would work well on the windmill you have. Or you could make a set of timber blades, a lot more work but you can get good results.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

rgormley

Posted: 08:19am 22 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi gizmo,

have you seen / heard the pulltruded (constant angle blades) in action?? versus the black plastic blades?

i was wondering if it is worth the money for me to buy the black plastic turbine blades from ecoinnovations, only to find out they are just as noisy??

what do you think? have you heard both blades in action??

Cheers,
Richard

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:02am 22 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard.

I do have a set of the Ecoinn blades. They were quiet under normal use. If the wind picked up and the windmill was running flat out,  you could hear them but it was not too loud be be annoying. But I havn't hear the pulltruded blades, so I cant compare.

Home made PVC blades could be a cheap option, Bruce could help here, he has played around with them.

It looks like the flange the blades bolt to is well made, so you should be able to try a few different blade types to see what gives the best results.

I'm tempted to buy one of those cheap windmills to try it out, they are value for the price, but I think they could perform better with some good blades.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024