Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:17 19 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Problems with Fisher Paykel motor

Seb1

Posted: 09:59pm 01 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Firstly apologies for my limited electrical knowledge but I am hoping someone on here might be able to tell me where I am going wrong.

I have taken a Fisher Paykel motor out of a washing machine. It is a 36 pole version. I have rewired it to 3 x 4C as per the great diagrams on this site. I have cut back the parts of the washing machine housing and am still using the original hub from the washing machine.
I have wired it up to a 3 phase rectifier and then is wired to a light bulb. Hand turning produces nothing. I attached it to an ammeter which produced a large amount of resistance in terms of finding it hard to hand turn it.
I have attached a couple of photos to show you how far I've got. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Seb the novice.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:21pm 01 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Finding it hard to turn with the amp meter connected is normal, a good sign. Was it also difficult to turn with the light bulb? It should be, but not as hard as the amp meter.

Can you test the output volts while turning by hand?

Also thats not a F&P, its a LG. Works the same.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 01:41am 02 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You will probably need a multimeter

it won't cause much resistance and you'll be able to see how much voltage it is putting out at what RPM

when these motors are shorted out they are very very hard to turn
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Seb1

Posted: 09:05pm 06 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you to both of you for your replies.
I hooked it all up to a multimeter and handturning it, it produced upto 20V.
I tried it with an old bike light made up of 5 LEDs which lit up, flickered and then went out (I'm guessing I fried them).
So, I'm really pleased that it works but now want to work out how to regulate the voltage output. This is a project for the children in my school so I want to show them something that is stable and can produce approx. 12V.
Any suggestions on how to regulate/control the voltage output would be greatly appreciated.
Seb

sonny97301

Posted: 01:51pm 14 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

some late info.   if you want a good pma, just  BUY ONE.  on ebay/amazon.   look for permanent magnet alternator, and KNOW  what specs you want.     re-purposing an f&p motor is LESS simple, than one might think.   the motors are  MULTI-pole, 3-phase, bldc, outrunners.     in a 36 pole stator, there are  TWELVE coils per phase.
in a pma, there should ONLY be  three coils per phase.    changing the config of a stator, DOES NOT CHANGE THE CONFIG of the stock rotor.   some people have come to believe that it is a good idea to Interconnect  ADJACENT coils.   IT  IS   NOT.

itchybum

Posted: 12:38am 13 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.  I am in the process of designing a generator from a Comet windmill. Yes, there are quite a few challenges. Can anyone advise me of the best speed range for a Fisher & Paykel motor when modified and used to generate power?  Speed increasing gear will be required, but to what approx ratio? Many thanks from SE Queensland.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:59am 13 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seb1 said  This is a project for the children in my school so I want to show them something that is stable and can produce approx. 12V.

How about a treadmill motor ?

These are typically rated at something like 4,200 rpm at 180v and maybe 8-10 amps.

At 12v it should run at around 280 rpm as a motor, speed being proportional to voltage.
That is about 4.7 turns per second.

As a generator it might need to turn a bit faster than that, but not by very much, and should light a pretty big 12v light bulb to a couple of amps fairly easily.

You probably don't need absolutely full glaring white brightness for a nice class room demonstration, so hand cranking should produce something quite worthwhile.

A bicycle hub generator might be another way to do it, if you can find one.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024