Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:49 19 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : VAWT - Setting the 8 Degrees attact angle

Fish

Posted: 04:23pm 14 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am building a VAWT using the blade shape goe-222-iL. I have hunted for a sketch but can only find very elaborate calculations and all I need is a simple sketch showing how the blade/wing should lie on the radius. I have also noted that this subject has not attracted any comments for quite some time, any reason ?

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:20pm 14 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Fish , welcome to the forum .

I have not built a vertical wind turbine , there appears to be lots of ideas and info on what you require on this forum ,you will have to make a coffee and search through the wind section for many of the profiles,Etc that others have posted.

Looking back ,from my own experiences,Solar is cheap as chips nowadays and thats probably why there is not much interest. I still like wind, though , . nothing like sitting back on the back deck and watching the Ol mill spinning in a breeze-even though most come to a sticky end ,lol.

Anyhow ,Phll M on this forum would be the best guy to ask ,regarding profiles. he'll help you out.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bushboy

Fish

Posted: 12:46pm 15 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bruce, can't make more coffee, run out, need to buy more. Done many nights searching for the answerer, I know it's 8 degree but I need to know where to set the angle. As I said want to build the wings in fixed position, less to go wrong.
I could post a sketch of my understanding but then it might put other newbies at risk of getting it wrong. I did read a note where it was explained but now that I need it, just cannot find it.

Fish

Posted: 04:22pm 23 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see many eyes have passed through this subject, stop awhile and add what you understand about the attack angle setting, keep it simple. The Lentz profile shows this angle but not in relationship to the circumference line the wing travels.
Thanks for stopping at the red light...

electrondady1

Posted: 12:15pm 24 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it been a while but, the circumference line does not exist. the relation ship between radius line and the wing angle is everything. with the wing at an 8 degree angle there will be a different circumference at the front of the wing than the back. eds wing is not a 222 profile. i build drag mills but was part of a vawt forum Ed mentored. i recall lift type builders would often leave the connection of the vertical wings and the support structure adjustable because they were trying different profiles. someone on the back shed was selling aluminum goe 222 wings, i would guess they would know
good luck
Edited by electrondady1 2019-06-25

Fish

Posted: 05:48pm 24 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for popping in, will keep hunting.

fillm

Guru

Posted: 10:41am 03 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Fish,

Might be way late for this reply but have been tied up on a project I took on which has consumed most of this year.
Anyway below is a Pic of how I set up AOA and did a few tests on a VAWT / GOE blade angle years back. I will say my opinion of VAWTs as power makers is -5 on a scale of 1-10 .

PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024