Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:31 19 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Huaya Wind Turbine

Page 1 of 2    
windySE

Posted: 08:14pm 01 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone,

I am glad to be able to contribute to this forum in some ways.

Last December I purchased a Huaya wind turbine from China (Aron Wang sales representative) - the 3.2m diameter for the blades rotor, 1.5kw nominal power, 2.3kw max power, 28vdc model, with a Sunway pwm charge controller with a 3kw dump load.

The wind turbine has been working since March 25th this year in the South East of Romania.

I built myself a 13m tall tower from drill pipes (89mm external diameter, 8mm thickness of the wall). It still needs some anchors and reinforcing elements as you can see from some of the last videos on youtube (June 20 storm and June 25 storm) but so far it has worked very well.

Very important - the tail boom of the turbine needed to be elongated (about 50-60cm added) and the tail vane surface increased, as you can see from Slideshow 3. Until I modified the wind turbine I could not get it to stay into the wind more than 20-30 seconds (very frustrating).

Now it follows the wind very well, as you can see from last videos.

It performed very well in 84 km/h gusts of wind. Very strong build, highly recommended for its price (about 970 USD with charge controller and dump load plus
shipping taxes and VAT and port taxes, all in all about 1500 USD), however be advised it needs the tail boom and tail vane to be modified.

If I can help with any advice, feel free to write.

I am trying to put together a power curve for Midnite Classic 200, if anyone has any ideas please write. So far I could see 1100 watt on Midnite. However, on the Chinese Sunway controller I could see 1890 watt and maybe more was generated during the storms but most power went into the dump load.

I am experimenting with the Midnite Classic, maybe I can use it as a backup for Sunway, or maybe I can even get the turbine to work more efficiently with Midnite
than with the Chinese controller.

Thank you.

windySE YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVWDtk1yTwRA3qAF5zY0RQ

Last 4 videos were taken during last big storm (June 25th)Edited by windySE 2019-07-03

qosmio

Posted: 01:28pm 13 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Subscribed to your channel, very nice videos and beautiful tower.

windySE

Posted: 03:20pm 21 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you. The month of July is very quiet here, almost no wind at all. Will start posting more in the near future.

doubledipsoon

Posted: 03:57am 26 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WindySE, I am interested in a Huaya Turbine, the FD-3.2-1000 and am currently speaking with Aron Wang from Huaya in China. My only reservation with this specific turbine is the "noise level". I recently took down a Bergey XL-1 because of excessive noise, harmonic distortion, and an overall annoying ongoing sound. It runs at 490 rpm with an 8.2 foot rotor/blade diameter. The huaya 3.2 meter rotor/blade diameter is rated at 350 rpm, so theoretically, it should be quieter. My question to you is, how do you perceive the overall noise coming from your Huaya turbine. Thanks for your input, Joe

windySE

Posted: 01:50pm 26 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

Huaya should be quieter.

I have it in a residential area and no complaints so far.

Watch for the next post on the youtube channel, I have built a reinforcement piece for the tail.

Thank you

doubledipsoon

Posted: 10:55pm 26 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the reply- you're my only connection with a Huaya. I read an article by the wind guru himself, Mick Sagrillo, and he said to (paraphrasing) "witness first hand any wind generator you want to buy.....to actually hear what your going to get into". His first pick was the old 32 volt 1800 watt (400 lb) Jake. He said the secret was low rpm....since I'm wrestling with the notion of dealing with a huge machine, I may try the Huaya, but is it wishful thinking? A very good start would be hearing one up front and personal......OK, Windy I'm going to the library in a couple days to watch your Youtube channel with all your Huaya videos. I sure hope you don't play music in the background when showing off your Huaya....Please (God) All the other youtube Huaya, Aleko, Zonhan clone videos suck- all you hear is wind over the mikes.....Hey, Windy, are your neighbors just being nice?

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 12:50am 27 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've got the 1 Kw model .  It's very heavy (two person lift) and I'm going to have to reinforce the stick type steel tower for this extra weight.  A nice ly built machine ,should last heavy weather easily .  

A fellow over here on this forum is a real expert on these machines and has done a lot of comparison work regarding the blades.  

He is PhillM on the forum , read up on his developments of the machinery and his blades. He is a professional machinest and does very high quality work.

I'm sort of in between doing work on my stuff ,but have sort of come to realise that I'm a bit past all of this heavy construction work ,nowadays.

I follow all the posts ,

Bruce
Bushboy

doubledipsoon

Posted: 01:24am 27 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Bruce, yeah, I have connected with PhillM, and his OZ blades to upgrade the Huaya. Depending upon the "noise" factor, I may or may not stick with the stock Huaya blades. So it sounds like you don't have the 1kw up yet, huh? That's too bad- I was hoping to get another, "they're not too noisy" comment from you. I have plenty of wind here, so I'm not concerned about changing blades for another 25% increase in power- I'm only concerned about blade noise from the Huayas. I'll be searching Youtube for clips on noises emitted from spinning Huaya's, checking out WindySE's channel, and looking for someone in California that has one up, so I can hear it spin myself. "Buy and hope" isn't going to happen again, Keep it spinnin', Joe

windySE

Posted: 02:13am 27 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

no music on my videos. just on the slideshows. the videos taken during the storm should give you an idea about highest level of noise.

i recently talked to a guy here in Romania that has been working with wind turbines for decades. he said that huayas without the tail modified are useless, they keep rotating around the mast without producing much. but once you change the tail (https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/wind-turbine-tail-fin-sizing-your-wind-turbine-tail) they work very well, something that i can confirm first hand myself.

he also said a few of them lost their tails, because of the constant stress of this rotation around the mast but once the tail is modified and the turbine stays into the wind properly this risk of losing the tail diminishes.

anyway, i have built a metal piece that consolidates the connection between the tail and the body and now i can be at peace about it.

it will be shown in great detail on my channel soon, i just have to make a new slideshow and upload it.

the tower i built uses drill pipes from oil and gas, 2 pieces of 6,5m each (cut from 9m long pipes) connected together for a total length of 13m.

the thickness of the wall is 8mm and the interior of the pipe has about 4-5mm of plastic coating, which is good i think for the wires themselves.

i had to use a crane to lift it up in the air. now i made it more solid and added extra anchors. that will be in the slideshow as well.

beware that modifying the tail must be done before you lift it up in the air. ideally you should have a metal piece for consolidating the tail added as well, it is very cheap and can be built (diy) in a day.

doubledipsoon

Posted: 02:45pm 27 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the added info about the tail- and I'll listen to your Youtube channel videos for the blade noise levels that I am very concerned about.... about the tail- Aron from Huaya volunteered the information a few weeks ago about the FD3.2-1000 needing a larger tail to offset the larger blades and rotor- have they suddenly taken care of this problem that you are referring to? Perhaps. He made it clear that the tails between the FD2.8 and the FD3.2 are not the same. If I purchase one, I'll contact you about how I can tell whether it is the correct size or not. I'm not real concerned about the tail problem now because it sounds like you have found a solution- and will view your new video on how to upgrade with that "piece of metal". I am also wanting to integrate a "manual shutdown" into the Huaya, as "electrical brakes" have electical drawbacks, if you know what I mean. Like I said in an earlier email, my main concern is blade noise, so I'll view your videos and get back to you. Do you know anyone in the states that have one running? Or how I can find a distributor for Huaya here in the states? I've had no luck whatsoever. They can't be that rare. Joe

windySE

Posted: 12:24pm 28 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Joe,

I don't know anyone in the States that sells the Huaya turbine.

Aron Wang should know.

He put me in contact with several dealers from Romania, even though I bought directly from him.

This is where you calculate the tail size:

https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/wind-turbine-tail-fin-sizing-your-wind-turbine-tail

After you make the calculations, write to Aron and ask him for the turbine to have exactly that particular length of the tail and surface of the tail vane.

Will post the promised photos soon.

You need a switch at the base of the tower to short the 3 cables in case of a storm of more than 100 km/h, but beware that the shorting is being done before the storm hits, never when the turbine is spinning fast, or when the wind drops for a second ...

You will also need a breaker between this switch and the charge controller, when you short the generator to have it disconnected from the controller.

I will post photos of these switches and breakers, too.

And ask Aron for a controller that displays the amps, power and energy.

Mine doesn't, so i had to buy a wattmeter instead (about 10 USD, from AliExpress).

And a special wrench that detaches, if you ever need, the rotor that holds the blades from the generator. I don't have it but some of my friends from Romania have received it.

There is much to talk, I am wondering about maybe connecting directly on WhatsApp for the future, or Skype ...

doubledipsoon

Posted: 02:56am 29 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It was a huge letdown listening to the noise coming off the Huaya, but it came as no real surprise- and I can see (hear) why there are no distributors in the US for this particular Chinese wind machine. The Huaya has a whiny, whistley tone, constantly changing pitch, that isn't much quieter than the Bergey XL-1 I just took down, and thankfully dumped on Ebay. After hearing an old Jacobs 32v machine purring at 250 rpm, I'm sold on a blade-actuated governor on 6-7 foot blades. The bottom line- fixed blade high rpm wind generators will bug you after the initial euphoria wears off, and the neighbors finally speak up. Sorry to break this to ya, but even at below a grand, they're a burn. Signing out for good, Joe

windySE

Posted: 01:23pm 29 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's alright Joe. I am glad the videos helped you make up your mind.

Neighbours in Romania are way more tolerant than other parts of the world.

And I am quite happy with the turbine.

The noise actually helps me realize how much power it generates, just by listening to the intensity of it.

Best of luck,

windySE

Posted: 06:38am 03 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Finally my video with the last upgrades is live:

https://youtu.be/bFkuH5wKTFk

It shows the metal piece that consolidates the tail boom plus 3 more changes to the anchor system for the tower

fillm

Guru

Posted: 02:33am 26 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ,

Been a while for me as busy on turbines and a sailing Yacht I bought .

There is a solution to the noise and lack of power in light winds , fit the GOE 222 Blades . I  Have laser cut parts that I designed to easily mount to the blade hubs .
If you guys got a turbine from Huaya with no problems and a balanced lade set that is rare , I have seen them sending second hand  parts as well as burnt out generators. I should do a whole article on the 3kw Var Pitch that I bought in and all the problems ... one day. Its up and flying and with our mods is making over 150W in 1.5 - 2.5 m/s , and easily exceeding rated 3kw in under 10m/s

Below are some pics of the type 2 blade hub , if you can weld and drill accurately its not hard..

With this design I can get everything exact that cause the wobbles and vibration , by shims and internal weights. Our Blades run perfectly !! 

Along with that you will get 2 x more accumulated power and better low wind performance ... GUARANTEED!!

The Chinese Blades from Huaya , Yeneng , First wind ... etc.. have no true airfoil design to make a claim of, they just look nice to the inexperienced eye and mass produced, not even the widely could they use Clark Y ( Flat front & curved on the back )like on all the crap micro ( so called  300W ) type turbines.  the First Wind is the worst . If you think below is an airfoil that can produce lift , please explain how. IMO fence pails would do better .
The other warning I will throw out there is for the USA seller ..Like Missippi or such, I have countless inquiries on people ripped off " how can I get power out of this" Advise given " Throw it in the bin and ... WAY Better doing an F&P based turbine , at least it will produce 300W easily single stator.

Would you see  this shape on a plane wing ?
Edited 2019-10-26 12:59 by fillm
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

windySE

Posted: 05:09am 26 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your input. I did send you an email months ago. Can you please send me a price offer for the GOE222 blades, with delivery to Romania? 3,2m diameter...

I want to have a backup set of blades.

So far the original Huaya blades are performing well, I have seen a little over 1500 watt in 60 km/h wind, for a 1,5 kw nominal power turbine.

windySE

Posted: 05:10am 26 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I forgot to write the email address

windySE19@gmail.com

Thank you

fillm

Guru

Posted: 09:01am 26 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

windySE said  

So far the original Huaya blades are performing well, I have seen a little over 1500 watt in 60 km/h wind, for a 1,5 kw nominal power turbine.

Hi Windy ,

The Huaya blades are only marginally better , trouble is they can not mass produce a 2 piece glued together blade without the seam which does not allow for a nice leading or trailing edge ... hence noisy ..The Huaya blades will also eventually delamate and split in half 60klm is strong wind 16m/s , they should  full output @ 10 .
Seeing big numbers is not what its about , Amp / hrs and what it does in 3 -5m/s which is mostly what people live with.
All my customers that get a replacement set of blades all say the same thing , " can not believe the power " & they run so quiet and smooth "

Unfortunately for you to get a full balanced blade set will be very expensive , you would be better getting just blades and if you are handy enough and can weld you will make a good set of blades .

I will send you an email
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

kitestrings

Posted: 08:11pm 30 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice looking hub and blade assembly fillm.  I assume the steel blocks are the balance weights.  Do you statically balance these as an assembly, or have another method?  Just curious.  I'm getting ready to balance a set of wood blades.  Regards, ~ks

Wynpust

Posted: 04:32pm 20 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone,
I am from Holland and want to buy a wind turbine from huayaturbine turbine
type FD5-5kW with a 5kW 3phase wing power grid tie inverter with dumpload.
With 220 AC 50 Hertz connecting with grid.

Is ther someone who has experience with this wind generator??

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024