Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:48 19 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : 27 pole 36 magnet F@P 640 problem

D.C.

Posted: 06:07pm 23 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all. New to the forum and windmills and have a couple questions. I have a new F@P-640 that leaves me with a problem. It has just as they claim no cogging but as soon as I hook it to my 90 amp rectifier and that to my battery it has quite a bit of drag. Still testing it on my bench but I doubt my LENZ2 VAWT is going to turn it. Rotating by hand open circuit it does 50 vac and turns nice and easy. My 1st question is, if I use an MPPT controller will that lessen the drag to rotate it? I first tried a HAWT with Raptor 7 blades but in my residential area with buildings and trees the wind switches from all directions keeping it searching and rarely turning. So I built a VAWT with the LENZ2 type wings. Neither of these would overcome the drag of the new F@P-640 or my stock wired 36 pole F@P. That's why I bought the F@P-640 cause there is no cogging. But, as I said the drag over 20 RPM is to much to overcome to get any power out of either. So would an MPPT controller help to ease the drag and get more then 20 RPM from either of these motors? Next question is if I rewire the 36 pole which has the 12 large magnets will that reduce the drag that occurs from putting a load on it? If so which wiring configuration would be best for a 12 volt slow turning VAWT. I've read the F@P-640 may have aluminum windings so rewiring it may not be so easy. But, what configuration would work with 27 poles and 36 magnets that it has for a slow turning 12 volt VAWT? I'll try to add pictures of the F@P-640 with it's 27 poles and 36 magnets for anybody that wants to see one as they don't seem to be around much. Any comments or advice would be appreciated as the windmill thing doesn't seem to be working out for me.

mtrident

Posted: 11:03am 28 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have the same motor. Using a hand crank for experiments, I can only get about 15 watts from mine. I have it hooked to a 3 phase rectifier, 15 volt regulator and a 12V battery. The most I see from it is a little over 1 amp at 15 volts. If I turn it too fast, the regulator will unload, it will spin very fast and make way too much voltage. Once it slows down it goes back to working at 15 volts and about 1 amp. I want to re-wire it for higher current since I don't need more than 15 volts, but have had no luck finding out how on this 27 pole motor. I am also figuring that besides having higher current through re-wiring, it will have to spin faster to produce 15 volts and that will also result in higher current.

Does anyone know how to re-wire the 27 pole 36 magnet motor?

D.C.

Posted: 06:01pm 28 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah I wonder too about re-wire options. Right now I would be happy with the 15 volts and 1 amp if I could get a windmill to turn it. Do you get a lot of load resistance with yours too? Maybe a regulator to keep the volts down to 15  would help. My electronics knowledge is quite limited.
Edited 2020-03-29 04:04 by D.C.

mtrident

Posted: 02:02pm 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I get quite a bit of resistance. I have thought about trying a transformer to step the high voltage it can make down to something more usable, but I'm thinking it would still have too high of turning resistance. There are wind turbine regulators out there that have auto braking, etc to keep the voltage in a usable range. One of the problems I have with the regulators I have now is that when they unload the PMA gets very easy to turn and the voltage goes high. It can easily get high enough to destroy the regulator. That's why I'm thinking re-wiring is the best option, though I expect the higher the wattage, the greater the resistance.

D.C.

Posted: 05:56pm 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is a member named Thai on the forum with this F@P 640 motor. He has had some problems too but evidently got his working better. I tried to private message him to find out what his setup includes but he hasn't responded. Look at his posts maybe it will help you out. These motors may have aluminum windings which makes re-wire more difficult but I'm not sure of that. Either way gotta find a way to reduce that turning resistance cause wind here in my residential area is light and from all directions. I have a couple solar panels but here in Michigan there's a lot of gray days and a wind turbine is enjoyable just to watch. As you say, I would think the more wattage the higher the resistance will get. So I'd be happy with 15 watts or so for my 12volt setup. I have one of the 36 pole/12 magnet motors I'm going to re-wire and see how the resistance is on that.

mtrident

Posted: 02:58pm 06 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good luck with getting things going. I sure wish I knew how some folks are claiming they get 1000 watts from these.

qosmio

Posted: 01:14am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With light wind you only get a beautiful spinning toy or garden decoration, a windmill needs powerful winds to get power out of the coils. Basically you need about 500 watts of wind to get 200 watts of electricity out of it, spinning alone is not enough. The biggest possible blades will help to capture more power.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:30am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That drag as you call it is the power necessary to generate any useful output current.

You cannot have a powerful high output generator that requires little or no effort to turn it.

Try sitting on an exercise bike and see how long you can output half a horsepower for before total exhaustion, probably a very few minutes.
And that is only going to be about roughly 600 watts.

None of this is a problem, but you have to be realistic.
Cheers,  Tony.

Thai

Posted: 08:16am 02 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I fixed mine by stripping the wires and exchanged it to a 16 guage. Rewired to 3 phases with 12 poles per phase. The wires are too small and could burn out with high voltage. Unless you get a transformer thats the only way it'll work factory without rewiring. Better off just using the washing maching motor. Its cheaper and has more poles to play with. Missouri now sales these fp640. From what i hear, they don't care if you get ripped off. If i could go back i would spend 30.00 on a better fp motor. I also had to dip my stator in resin to keep it from weather elements. It's alot of work if you're willing to deal with the fp640. Only figured out how to wire it for 12vdc. Make sure you don't wire over 12 poles or it will break and vibrate. Lots of trial and error for me but i still haven't installed mine. Blades are too expensive at the moment. Watch my youtube for more info Nrgpowercharger

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024