Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:19 07 Aug 2020 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Chinese Wind Turbines on eBay.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 12:04pm 26 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys, I'm new to the whole wind turbine scene, so please bear with me.
I am at present camping my way around Australia in a caravan and was thinking about getting one of these
I don't for one minute believe one of these Chinese turbines would produce anywhere near what they claim, but I'd be happy with 300w+ for the price.
I want to charge a 12v 120ah battery, so my question is; do I get a 12v one and it'll have to run a higher rpm to make 300w or should I get 24v one and it runs slower but makes more power at a lower rpm?
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but surely there's a method in my madness...or I could just buy the Eco-Worthy  400w turbine for 3x the price, but maybe a more reliable product?
What's your thoughts?
Anything helpful would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Paddy.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:42am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome to the Forum Paddy.

I suppose it depends how much wind you are seeing in your travels, location is everything.

It would be brilliant on a yacht out at sea, or along the top of coastal cliffs.
Not so great camped out in the bush among very tall trees, obviously.

Full ratings 11.4 metres/sec (41.4 Kmh) you would be lucky to be able to stand up in that.

Then there is the problem of carting the whole thing around, plus a pole long enough to mount it on around with you in your wanderings.
Cheers, Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 03:17am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tony, thanks for the welcome.

I'm seeing a fair bit of wind as we camp on campgrounds on the coast, most days according to BOM the wind is somewhere between 15 and 30kph.

The pole will be in 2 x 2metre sections so I can fit it in the front locker of the caravan, the blades unbolt and I can put the whole thing back in its box, in the back of the car for traveling to other destinations.

I guess if it doesn't work out as I envisage, I could always sell it I guess.

Cheers,
Paddy.
Edited 2020-07-27 13:20 by Chinese Rubbish

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:25am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is quite a bit of wind, and at this time of year, might well be worth a try.
Cheers, Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 04:15am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm still trying to weigh up which model, and which will last in our conditions, I guess they're all made in the same factory.

I've been looking on YouTube, but not many of the cheap Chinese Rubbish ones on there - a couple in America.....hmmm!! decisions decisions.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 05:41am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have not been looking, but some of the feedback on e-bay can sometimes be quite useful.
Cheers, Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 05:55am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Should I get the 24v model of the cheaper one,this will have a lower cut in speed for less windy days?
Turbine

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:01am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using a 24v controller regulator with a 12v battery may be tempting fate a bit.

It may also possibly load down the turbine to the point of blade stall if the control system is really primitive.

Don't really know, but there may even be a small microprocessor in there, and attempting to fool it may not produce the improved results you expect or hope for.
Cheers, Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 03:02am 28 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok no worries, thank you.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2020