Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:55 19 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Chinese Wind Turbines on eBay.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 12:04pm 26 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys, I'm new to the whole wind turbine scene, so please bear with me.
I am at present camping my way around Australia in a caravan and was thinking about getting one of these
I don't for one minute believe one of these Chinese turbines would produce anywhere near what they claim, but I'd be happy with 300w+ for the price.
I want to charge a 12v 120ah battery, so my question is; do I get a 12v one and it'll have to run a higher rpm to make 300w or should I get 24v one and it runs slower but makes more power at a lower rpm?
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but surely there's a method in my madness...or I could just buy the Eco-Worthy  400w turbine for 3x the price, but maybe a more reliable product?
What's your thoughts?
Anything helpful would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Paddy.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:42am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome to the Forum Paddy.

I suppose it depends how much wind you are seeing in your travels, location is everything.

It would be brilliant on a yacht out at sea, or along the top of coastal cliffs.
Not so great camped out in the bush among very tall trees, obviously.

Full ratings 11.4 metres/sec (41.4 Kmh) you would be lucky to be able to stand up in that.

Then there is the problem of carting the whole thing around, plus a pole long enough to mount it on around with you in your wanderings.
Cheers,  Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 03:17am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tony, thanks for the welcome.

I'm seeing a fair bit of wind as we camp on campgrounds on the coast, most days according to BOM the wind is somewhere between 15 and 30kph.

The pole will be in 2 x 2metre sections so I can fit it in the front locker of the caravan, the blades unbolt and I can put the whole thing back in its box, in the back of the car for traveling to other destinations.

I guess if it doesn't work out as I envisage, I could always sell it I guess.

Cheers,
Paddy.
Edited 2020-07-27 13:20 by Chinese Rubbish

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:25am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is quite a bit of wind, and at this time of year, might well be worth a try.
Cheers,  Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 04:15am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm still trying to weigh up which model, and which will last in our conditions, I guess they're all made in the same factory.

I've been looking on YouTube, but not many of the cheap Chinese Rubbish ones on there - a couple in America.....hmmm!! decisions decisions.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 05:41am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have not been looking, but some of the feedback on e-bay can sometimes be quite useful.
Cheers,  Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 05:55am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Should I get the 24v model of the cheaper one,this will have a lower cut in speed for less windy days?
Turbine

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:01am 27 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using a 24v controller regulator with a 12v battery may be tempting fate a bit.

It may also possibly load down the turbine to the point of blade stall if the control system is really primitive.

Don't really know, but there may even be a small microprocessor in there, and attempting to fool it may not produce the improved results you expect or hope for.
Cheers,  Tony.

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 03:02am 28 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok no worries, thank you.

pollenface

Posted: 01:42am 09 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just bought the cheapest 12/24v 400w turbine on ebay. It comes with a controller but I plan to use only a 3-phase rectifier and old car battery to function as a "service battery" for the turbine system.

I plan to use a vsr + 200w boost converter @ 55v to supply additional current to one of my mppt solar controllers (I only have 250w of headroom left) between 13.3-12.8v and another vsr to run a 12v/200w water heater between 15-14.5v.

My logic is probably flawed and I'm still learning so I'll let you know how it goes.
Off grid man caver

Chinese Rubbish

Posted: 09:33pm 15 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi pollenface,
How did your turbine experiment turn out?

Technophiliac

Posted: 07:27am 27 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To me the considerations are whether to go for a 5 bladed propeller - smaller, readily available, and maybe better in the winds you are expecting. Lastly for a short cable run with a 12V battery....go 12 volts and keep it simple!
Probably too late commenting for the original poster, but may be helpful considerations for some one else?
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

pollenface

Posted: 12:17am 18 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chinese Rubbish said  Hi pollenface,
How did your turbine experiment turn out?

Hi mate, I'm still experimenting and my wife is getting sick of me always hanging about in my shed.

I didn't get much joy from the included PWM charge controller, I think it loaded the turbine too much and made it refuse to spin. I bought a BOOST type from ebay which seems to let the turbine spin up a bit more. It does work but I don't see constant wind where I live so best I've seen is 225w for about 2seconds. It has a built in brake which comes on/off at 28.7v. I'm going to try going straight through a bridge rectifier and make my own brake to come on at 27.5v as it doesn't need to spin when the sun is up and I prefer the idea of a brake on the AC side instead of a dump load (less complication). It will still spin slowly with the brake on in heavy wind but won't whirl it's head off (unless you're in a hurricane) or produce any power.

I'll check back later.
Off grid man caver

Old_Dunlite

Posted: 02:33am 25 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think for your application you'd be better off with solar panels. Of course I see the appeal in trying out a wind turbine. Solar is so cheap and effective.

pollenface

Posted: 03:18am 25 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

post deleted
Edited 2021-01-25 13:21 by pollenface
Off grid man caver

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024