Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:16 26 Nov 2020 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Gilco

mgilb

Posted: 03:00am 14 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All (my first post here). A mention of my grandfather, FB Gilbert, in the group prompted me to join! In the 1920s/1930s his company was Gilco here in Adelaide. He was an early adopter of the propellor type wind turbine. Gilco was relatively successful in its day but given the interest in wind power nowadays, I guess he was 75 years too early to really make a fortune!!
Lloyd Dunn was one of his apprentices and went on to found his own company, Dunlite. I have accumulated some of the Gilco newspaper advertisements and one day, I would dearly love to see, or even have, something that Gilco built (so if you hear of anything from a farm etc, I would dearly love to know).
For anyone vaguely interested, attached is a picture of FB Gilbert in his heyday with his newly imported Graham Paige motor car. He died in 1956 (64yo)

Michael Gilbert.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:52am 21 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice bit of history there,

I have not seen or heard of any thing about Gilco, so can't help you there, perhaps someone may come across something one day.

Well aware of Dunlite generators, there must be a wide verity of them still in use.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:11am 22 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I remember ,Gilbarco, think they were a petrol station pump and fittings company servicing all sorts of pumping gear and petrol bowser related stuff.

I still remember dad going down in our ,Whiffet, car. Or Ute to fill up Saturday’s at the south Brisbane petrol station , it was a clear glass top and the guy pumped the petrol til it was registering how much you required and then it gravity fed down into the car tank...

And while this was happening the attendant checked your tyre pressure and your radiator was filled with water. And us kids got a colouring in book,if we were lucky..

Out of hospital,Bruce . Every day is so nice from now on ,,,.

Luv this forum
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2020