Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:02 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Dump load control

pollenface

Posted: 11:41pm 20 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm curious how others are controlling the connect/disconnect of their dump load.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars so I've purchased a cheap prebuilt adjustable voltage sensing relay and piggy backed it to a dual battery relay which runs a few other devices upwards of 13.3v

I've had a lot of reliability with other cheaply sourced prebuilt modules (eg. step up/down converters, 12v remote switches, temperature controlled relays), so I thought I would try it out.

I have set mine to dump @ 14.6v (not sure what is ideal) but due to limitations of my hardware am not able to set a disconnect voltage higher than 12.8v - I would like perhaps 13.5-14v disconnect (again not sure what is ideal), the bank in question is sealed lead acid/agm.

I've seen a dump load relay (and heater) kit on ebay which connects at 15v and disconnects at 14.95v. I didn't like the idea of that. I would think that the moment the load powers up it would immediately disconnect from the voltage sag.

The turbine is just a cheap 400watter which I'm experimenting with.

Edited 2020-10-21 09:51 by pollenface
Off grid man caver

WindyOne

Posted: 04:36pm 02 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do you have a URL Link to your Dual Battery Relay, or an equivalent ?

Is it a Mechanical Relay or a Solid State Relay?

pollenface

Posted: 03:30am 11 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey, Good news, both adjustable relays I bought failed.

Everything powered up but the relay wouldn't engage at the "set" point.

I'm now leaning towards the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a PWM or microprocessor controlled system.
Off grid man caver

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024