Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:49 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Washing machine immersion heater as dump load?

apbarratt

Posted: 08:43am 10 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Whilst tidying up the remains of the LG washing machine I took the direct drive from, it occurred to me that I also removed this immersion heater from it.  I was wondering, if I'd be able to recycle this to use as my dump load?

Has anyone done this? :)

[insert witty signature here]

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 01:35pm 10 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As the name implies, you will have to keep it immersed in water. Otherwise, why not?
Edited 2020-11-11 01:52 by SimpleSafeName

mad jack

Posted: 11:34pm 10 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am no expert but you will need to measure resistance and know system voltage to calculate how much you can (dump)thru it .I expect you may need more than one

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 11:46pm 10 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mad jack said  I am no expert but you will need to measure resistance and know system voltage to calculate how much you can (dump)thru it .I expect you may need more than one

From the markings on the heater (2000/230), I get 8.7 ohms of resistance, and of course the 230 volts is marked on the plate.

And before anyone asks, it's good for 2000 watts, but probably only when immersed.

It may sound like I am harping on this point. But as a young electrician I powered up an immersion heater while it wasn't immersed in water.

Lasted about 20 seconds...

To my credit I haven't forgotten that lesson. :)

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:37am 12 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I didn't know washing machines had heaters. Dish washers yes, Fridges yes, but not washing machines.
Was it a front Loader?

Looks like it has a Built in temp sensor as well.

I have run water heater elements out of water at reduced power. If you have a few you get for nothing, you can afford to see what the limit is. If you only have the one, probably best to sink it and be done with it. They will only take a fraction of their rated power in air.

If you want an "air cooled" dump load, 500W halogen Floodlights are pretty cheap.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 01:20pm 12 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, I think he is referring to a dish washer. As for using heat lamps, that's probably a better way to go in any case.

Clothes dryer heater elements are a good choice too.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:39pm 12 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its 2Kw at 230v, and with 230v it will definitely need to be immersed.

But with (say) only 23 volts, one tenth the current, and one hundredth the power = only 20 miserable watts will be dissipated.  It will get very barely warm.  
No need to immerse that !

So unless your system is of an unusually high voltage, it should work pretty well.  
In fact it may end up not being powerful enough to dump as much power as needed.
Edited 2020-11-13 08:41 by Warpspeed
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024