Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:27 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Alternative Energy Centers

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:58pm 15 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey All.

I recieved this email from Tam in Chile.

Hi there,

I will be visiting friends in Sydney this coming May and would like to know if there are any such Alt Tech centres that offer courses in Wind, Water & Solar energy.

I currently live in Patagonia Chile, where we have some real high wind speeds and no one is doing anything about it.

I am at the VERY start of planning a project of self-sustainability and education. For this I would like to find something alopng these lines whilst in Australia.

Kind regards

Tam

www.patagomania.com

If anyone can suggest a place for Tam to visit, please post the info hear and I'll pass it on.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 10:34pm 16 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

H i Glenn,

The Rainbow Power Co. runs courses at Nimbin NSW border range ,(near me).
They can be contacted on http/www.rpc.com.au  they have a very good building with lots of working stuff (all types) and the classes are held in this building. They also have lots of second hand stuff for sale.
I don't know about the costs,. Telephone (international callers) (61)26689 1088
If he comes to Sydney then he would either drive up from there or fly to Coolongatta airport and hire a car -the Nimbin area is very beautiful rain forrest area in the mountains.

Rainbow Power Company Ltd, 1 Alternative Way, Nimbin NSW 2480.--Post Office Box No. 240 Nimbin.

Bruce

Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:20am 18 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bruce,

I passed it on and Tam said thanks too.

You got that windmill turning around yet?

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:42am 18 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn.    No ---- The "art" blades are very slender ,nice profile,but not enough "grunt" to turn our flatter and flykel machines---
With the new cyclone coming down the coast maybe it just might turn once or twice,we'll see.

I'm finishing off those "oregon pine blades" they should do the trick .

Bruce

Bushboy

RossW
Guru

Posted: 10:33am 18 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said   Hi Glenn.    No ---- The "art" blades are very slender ,nice profile,but not enough "grunt" to turn our flatter and flykel machines---
With the new cyclone coming down the coast maybe it just might turn once or twice,we'll see.

That must be hellish frustrating!

I have to ask.... have you tried completely unloading the jolly thing to see if you can get it started? Ie, have absolutely NO LOAD on it at all, no rectifiers, nothing. The things should freewheel reasonably well, shouldn't they? Is there a chance you have a short somewhere that's holding it back?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:14pm 18 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah well that cyclone is headed straight for me. Its calm now, but they say the wind will pick up to gale force by Monday morning. I'll keep an eye on the cyclone warnings and if its gets closer I'll have to take the windmill down. I am temped to leave it up to see just how strong it is, so far its handled the summer storms with no problems. But I figure if this cyclone does hit the region, chances are we will loose power, so it might be handy to have a working windmill to keep the batteries charged.

Glenn

JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024