Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:13 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Interresting read

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:15am 21 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found this link on the fieldlines forums.

http://mtbest.net/SD_modification.pdf

A technical approach to improving 3 phase generators ( ie the F&P ) using capacitors across the phases.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

adelaide

Posted: 10:06pm 23 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

looks intresting ,any idear what cap we should use on mills 12v ? is that test at around 100rpm  ,and any 1 tryed it yet ? results ?
help to make progres or radio and vitamin b

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:10pm 23 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It looks like 1uF across each phase gives the best results, dont think it depends on voltage, more on frequency or RPM. You could fine tune it and find the exact uF, but there would be little gain for a lot of work.

Next time I take the windmill down I'll add the caps and see how it performs.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

RossW
Guru

Posted: 12:51am 24 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  It looks like 1uF across each phase gives the best results, dont think it depends on voltage, more on frequency or RPM. You could fine tune it and find the exact uF, but there would be little gain for a lot of work.

That was my thought also.

Quote  Next time I take the windmill down I'll add the caps and see how it performs.

You have your diodes up the top?

I was planning to try hooking the caps on down the bottom where I have the rectifier and controller. It does mean there is additional resistance and inductance up the cables, but all we're really trying to do is "detune" the natural resonance, isn't it? So the extra R+L of the feedlines shouldn't make much difference in reality?

Hmmm.... post thought. If the generator is delta connected, caps at the bottom should be fine. But if they're star-connected but the star point isn't brought out, that could make putting caps "across" the coils a lot more difficult.
Edited by RossW 2006-03-26

whirlybird

Posted: 10:42pm 24 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is no real need to test this as it has already been done by the
good Doctor that published the paper.
The results speak for themselfs.
I also think that when you wire the f/p star fashion you should bring out the star point as well.
Just my 2c worth.
Whirlybird.
P/S  Hello to all you F/P nuts.
I have been gathering a few to send to friends in America.
Got 6 so far but will keep 2 for me.
Have not had so much fun since Ma got her tits caught in the mangle
Edited by whirlybird 2006-03-26
I am because I am.I am not always right but often I am.

RossW
Guru

Posted: 12:05am 25 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

whirlybird said  
I also think that when you wire the f/p star fashion you should bring out the star point as well.

That's fine for those who've done it themselves.

I have a commercial unit which I'm loath to pull apart - at least, while it's (a) working fine and (b) under warranty!

Alas, I only have 3 wires comming out of it, and don't know if it's star or delta connected internally. Being a nominal 48V unit, I guess it'd be easier to get the volts by star, but as it's 1000W (1500 peak), they
may have gone delta. *shrug*. Either way, I intend giving it a go.

I have a double-pole double-throw hefty toggle switch that joins all three phases together for a brake. I'm thinking I might replace that with a double-pole-double-throw with centre off, and can use it to switch in or out the caps so I can see what, if any, difference it makes in real terms to my machine.

adelaide

Posted: 12:58am 29 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cool sounds good but is the testing for lo rpm ? do we need dif for hi rpm? would love to hear if any 1 has done some results ?
help to make progres or radio and vitamin b

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024