Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:20 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Why Not In Reverse?

Kamak

Posted: 02:50pm 04 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why not, (as I've actually read somewhere) make the turbine rotor blades and nacelle offset of the tower bearing, and downwind. making the rotor blade leading edge on the backside (the face between the rotor and the nacelle). This way, there might not be a need for a tailfin, and the rotor will always tack naturally to the wind direction, due to its center of gravity being offset from the tower bearing? Also, use some form of viscous, or eddy current drag/clutch to smooth out, reduce fast changes in directional correct.
Edited 2021-05-05 03:27 by Kamak

kitestrings

Posted: 08:55pm 05 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This too has been done.  The Proven is one example... Enertech is another.  It seems simple, but there are some trade-offs (always, right).  It requires much of the weight of the turbine to be cantilevered away from the tower, so if it is of any size it can be a structural consideration.  And, believe it or not, they can get stuck in a position 180 degs. to the wind.

Then there is tower shadow.  The wind is now going through the tower to get to the blades which cause uneven loading on the rotor, and possible noise.

You also still have the speed protection considerations.  Unchanged in your barking proposal, but this would rule out side furling.  The Proven's actually had a "coning" rotor design for speed control.

kitestrings

Posted: 09:00pm 05 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh yes, and more recently, the Skystream I believe is a downwind design.

Kamak

Posted: 03:58am 06 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kitestrings said  Then there is tower shadow.  The wind is now going through the tower to get to the blades which cause uneven loading on the rotor, and possible noise.

Ah yeah, I never thought about the tower interference.

Shape the tower profile like this.

Just from the nacelle down to the length equalling the rotor's radius. More like a skirt of fabricated sheet metal that goes over the tower, and yaws with the turbine, as it follows the wind direction. Making the air pass around the profile with more laminar flow.
Edited 2021-05-07 12:51 by Kamak

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024