Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:28 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Rotary Screw Air compressor wind Genny

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 04:01am 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Guy's,
           I do have this old rotary screw air compressor head here and I do think this is a question for the brains trust where would it be worth to put up on a tower so the wind can make compressed air.

I do think a stacked 44 gal drum savonious design would be the go as it would give alot more torque than wind turbine blade.

My idea is it would load up an old compressor tank then I could unload the tank to my big tank down the line beside my shed.

Cheers Bryan

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:20am 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First thing to look at would be the wind data for your location.
I imagine you are going to want a pretty stiff breeze to make that work.

44's will only have so much torque so you would want them turning free enough to take advantage of the wind but fast enough to make worthwhile air.

If you are in a windy place might be OK but if not and you are lacking the very basic thing to power the idea in the first place, probably better off going with some panels  to drive a DC Treadmill motor or the like.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:43am 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo 50 metres up from shed is the top of the hill and the wind is insane up there, a few years ago I made a vawt and put on the tray of my land cruiser and nearly rolled the ute before i oxy cut the shaft.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 08:49pm 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan, If it is fun to make and works it would be a great project.
You could always look at making air driven things later.
Like a compressed air car if you are not too far from a town. There was a company in India that was talking about making them.
If you ended up with too much air you could always make an air drive generator to power the shed.
Anyway have fun. I am sure that others have built wind power air compressors.
Pete
have a look here
https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=26837

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 20 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Guy's,
            Yesterday I pulled apart this rotary screw compressor to ensure it was still OK and sure enough it still is still in good condition. I do have 2 off 44's here so the next stage is making up the base and cut the drums etc.

Still need to get some air line and dig a trench so stock doesn't rip apart the line and I do reckon this will be a fun project.

The compressor has a 3" dual V-pulley and I'll put a 12" V-pulley on the shaft so I get a 4:1 ratio so it will get the air going early when the unit starts.

Still a long way to go but eh it's all good fun.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 03:20am 21 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Guy's,
            Here is a pic of the screw compressor

Now I have some 6" diameter thrust bearings with 1/2" ball bearings so one will be used for the drums to sit on. I will be using 50mm diameter thick wall pipe as the centre pole and below the thrust bearing frame I'll put a 50mm flange mount bearing and use the 2 grub screws on the bearing to lock in so the thrust bearing will be set. Then another flange mount bearing will go on the base to complete the shaft setup.

Now in order to brace this frame to the ground side plates will be welded to base frame and holes big enough for star pickets to go thru then when fully hammered in welded to the base plate.

I am now thinking of going 3 drums high and this will make the total height about 3.5 metres. Now as the wind is different a couple of metres up this should provide an easy startup.

One use I will have for the compressed air is pumping water out of that 60 metre deep 3" hole that will be about 50 metres away from the unit. So when all of my air tanks are full the air can be used for raising water and keeping all of my dams full.

Cheers Bryan

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024