Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:33 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : noise reduction help pls

adelaide

Posted: 11:29am 30 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi got 2 f/ps on 1 shaft mounted at each end have attached prop to magnetic ring for 2 years now with out any problems but the double buzzes a bit.

i helped it to be quieter by rubber between stater and rubber hose around screws then rubber then washers, and then affix lead weight about same size as ruler on outside or the starter attached to prop helps but still want it quieter ,is totally silent when front stater is removed , have had same prob on 2 mills ,strangely still buzzes when power plug is unplugged. so gess the blades are acting like speeker cone and magnets going past iron are the trigger?

any fellow nerds got any practical suggestions on reducing noise . like deadener,weight or water to absorb noise ?

help to make progres or radio and vitamin b

adelaide

Posted: 11:37am 30 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

help to make progres or radio and vitamin b

mikeintexas

Posted: 07:32pm 18 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey, I might have the correct notion as to what is causing the buzzing, but fixing the buzz is another issue. You may have eddy currents in the steel laminated core. Ideally, the laminations are electrically insulated from each other, to minimize wasted energy in eddy current flow. However, due to sloppy manufacture, age, or whatever, there may be electrical connection between the laminations, causing a large induced current to flow inside the magnetic structure of the stator. On the other hand, you might just have some shorts in the windings around the stator poles. You can use a primitive magnetic AC device called a "growler" (in the states) and a hacksaw blade to rapidly detect shorts in the stator windings. Once you figure out the nature of the short, then you can decide how to fix the problem. I would definitely try the growler first, as you might only have to rewind a couple of the poles. Hope that helps, and thanks for the picture. (I love this website!!!)
Mike in Texas

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024