Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:00 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Very simple furling design needed

tommydog

Posted: 08:05am 04 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I say simple, I don’t have a workshop and have very limited tools (I have a cordless drill, jigsaw, screwdrivers, sockets, circular saw).  I will be making a turbine in my living room. Due to the simplicity of the below design, I was thinking of making something like this:

https://greenterrafirma.com/DIY_Wind_Turbine.html#variations

The problem is the above does not have a safety furling mechanism and I live in an area with very high winds.  As I want something very simple to make, I am looking for simple furling designs.  I saw the below design on instructables and wonder what people think:

Maybe as an alternative, I could look at horizontal furling, where the generator and blades are mounted off to the side of the yaw bearing and the tail is placed on the other side of the tower.  The tail could have a hinge and a spring (similar to the springs in the photo above but in a horizontal position) either side so that it yields in strong winds.  As an alternative idea, what about using something like an old beam torque wrench to mount the tail to?  That way by picking an appropriate range of wrench, the tail would start to yield in high winds.  Not sure what people think of these ideas?  I need some very simple designs that I can make in my living room.

Technophiliac

Posted: 11:11am 04 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check out the IstaBreeze® Heli and Windsafe models for some inspiration.... There are clips on Youtube showing them working... they appear to work well in gusts....
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

tommydog

Posted: 12:28pm 04 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technophiliac said  Check out the IstaBreeze® Heli and Windsafe models for some inspiration.... There are clips on Youtube showing them working... they appear to work well in gusts....

Thanks for that information.  This appears to show the mechanism below.  It looks a nice design, but I need ideas as to how I would construct something like that without access to a welder.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024