Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:04 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Vibrating generator.

Pauld

Posted: 01:53pm 05 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello, I am new here. My 36 coil generator is vibrating after I rewired the coils to a
3*4c configuration. Before the rewiring it was spinning nicely. What could be the cause of this vibration?

mab1

Posted: 07:07pm 05 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by 3×4c, particularly as 3×4 = 12 and you have 36 coils. Nor have you said what configuration you had them in before.

I would hazard a guess that you might have reversed the connections on one of your phases / coils - e.g. if you have it wired 3ph Y (or star) and you reverse connect one phase it would be very lumpy under load.

Pauld

Posted: 07:13am 06 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your answer. I used the configuration on this website 4 coils in series. Before it was a 1*12c. (Factory configuration )

Technophiliac

Posted: 07:49am 06 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Photo's?
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Pauld

Posted: 08:45am 06 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technophiliac said  Photo's?

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 12:10am 07 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul, it is hard to tell from your photo but it looks like you have connected adjacent coils as the start of each phase.
There needs to be a 120 degree separation of the starts and finishes of each phase.
So generally it works like this.
A phase starts, then you miss a coil to the start of B phase and miss the next coil to the start of C phase.
Pete

mab1

Posted: 08:24pm 07 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd take what i say with a pinch of salt as i have no experience of these motors.

I can see what looks like a 'star point' on the right side in the picture, so if I've understood how it was originally wired:- 3 phases wired star, each with 12 coils series connected. You have modified each phase to 3parallel x 4series coils? If so i can't see how the reconfigured phases connect to the original star point - I'm thinking there ought to be another 2 star points or 9 wires going to a single star point.

Pauld

Posted: 09:48am 08 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Godoh said  Hi Paul, it is hard to tell from your photo but it looks like you have connected adjacent coils as the start of each phase.
There needs to be a 120 degree separation of the starts and finishes of each phase.
So generally it works like this.
A phase starts, then you miss a coil to the start of B phase and miss the next coil to the start of C phase.
Pete

Thanks you all for giving advice. I have used the manual that is on this site. However I mirrored the picture of the coils. Because I thought I had a rotor that was exactly the opposite wiring. But now I think that this could be the problem. The other problem I had was that the wiring is made of aluminum and that din't solder very wel. So I do not trust al the connections.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 11 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

" The other problem I had was that the wiring is made of aluminum and that didn't solder very well"

It is all but impossible to reliably solder aluminum with regular solder. The main problem is the tough oxide film on the surface. To get through it requires a special flux and solder that contains abrasive powder. The surface has to be scrubbed while covered in molten solder and flux. Once it has cooled every trace of the flux must be removed as it is corrosive. The two solder covered surfaces can then be aligned, reheated and clamped until cool.

This is OK for busbars and large cables but not practical for small wires. Stainless steel connectors are better.

get real

Posted: 02:15pm 11 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pauld said  Hello, I am new here. My 36 coil generator is vibrating after I rewired the coils to a
3*4c configuration. Before the rewiring it was spinning nicely. What could be the cause of this vibration?

You can go on Ebay and get the right one for $40-$50 or less if you haggle with the person selling it.  They are hungry right now and you can probably get one pretty cheap. It will cost you more money in time and part to try and weld it to then have it still not work or eat its self up from corrosion.

Pauld

Posted: 07:48am 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I very pleased with the answers I’ve been givin. My windturbine is spinning nicely now and producing actual power. I am now finetuning everything and give the esthetics some attention.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024