Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:47 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : unpleasant ads on this forum.

Dinges

Posted: 07:10pm 28 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,

Let me start by saying I enjoy reading this board. It has a laid-back atmosphere to it. Relatively small and manageable board (for me), with a high signal-to-noise ratio.

One thing that has been annoying me for the past weeks though is a particular ad:

Quite different from the sober google-ads.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with the concept of advertizing and the cost of this board to the users is excellent too (i.e. free). But in my opinion this ad is in rather bad taste. It looks to be a Dutch ad. Possibly Aussies, or Americans, see entirely different ads from me or other Europeans.

I don't expect or ask for any response or action from you, just wanted to give you a heads-up that diffent people in the world may see different ads, not all of which are in good taste and in line with the otherwise nice and serious look and content of this forum.

And thanks again for running this nice board.

Peter Dingemans,
The Netherlands.

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 28 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gee
I dont have this problem with any particular adv on Homegrown Power Maybe Gizmo will sort things out later when Glen come home from work as I hate this stupid this adv or spammer so we are sorry about this problem

dwyer the bushman

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:48pm 28 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys

Yeah that's not a nice ad. I agree.

I'm not really meant to talk about the goodle ad's ( called Adsense ), part of the agreement, I basically have to ignore them.

The way Adsense works is very clever. The ads are based on what google thinks the web page is about, but sometimes it gets its wrong. I can set up the Adsense to block particular advertisers, so I'll see what I can do. That ad block will display image and text ads, and its the image ads that go weird from time to time.

Leave it with me.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

CraziestOzzy

Posted: 06:09am 29 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

my 2 cents worth...any mention of Achmed brings a smile every time, having actually watched the short movie clips. "...the new guy"
http://cr4.globalspec.com/member?u=25757

http://www.instructables.com/member/OzzyRoo/

grub

Posted: 08:33pm 29 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the achmed in the ad is a ventriquist's dummy. search for "achmed the dead terrorist" on youtube to see the show. I thought it was funny.

oztules

Guru

Posted: 11:33am 30 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know if it's my linux that saves me from that stuff, or Firefox Browser that is keeping it out, but I don't see any adds at all..... interesting.
I had cause to use windows the other night (was using Protel 99se on Windows) and needed to look something up so turned on the nextg.... adds everywhere. Not used to it at all. Now I'm safe and secure on my Linux box again.

.........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Dinges

Posted: 04:25pm 30 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gizmo. As I said, I didn't post this so you could change it for me, was more meant as a 'head-up'. But I wouldn't complain if that ad disappeared though :)

CraziestOzzy, Grub, it may be my lack of a funnybone but somehow I don't appreciate skeletons yelling 'Silence, I kill you!' at me. Triggers an instinctive 'fight or flight' reaction. Maybe if I still watched television I'd be blessed with being able to see more comedy like that.

Oztules, I use Firefox too and the now ancient windows2000. Never liked XP (I grit my teeth when occasionally sitting behind an XP PC) and will never use Vista. If it weren't for the fact that I absolutely need 2 software packages to run on my PCs that only come for a Windows environment I wouldn't think twice about making the switch to Linux. I have played with Linux (Ubuntu) before and liked what I saw. Sooner or later there will come a time I have to update those two packages and, likely, will then also have to switch operating systems. I'm postponing that day for as long as I can (also due to learning curve for needing to learn new software and OS; I managed to postpone switching to windows till the year 2000, running only DOS systems) but when that day comes to switch it'll be to Linux.

Have been using Firefox for a few years now and it's a drastic improvement over IE. Installed FF3 a few weeks ago but the harddisk went crazy on both systems (1/2 hours of HD activity without the user even using the system). Quickly went back to FF2.

So, the switch to Linux will happen in the future (hopefully I can postpone it for a few more years).

In the mean time though I will have to endure Ron's mocking of me being a windows loser, err, user.

CraziestOzzy

Posted: 11:47pm 30 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No worries Dinges...my philosophy on dealing with terrorists is to take the terror out and laugh in the face of adversity (Achmed does it well)
"NoScript" on Firefox is my friend...I control the advertisements I choose to watch.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:10am 31 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've changed that ad block into a google search targeted at the forum contents. There is a lot of info in these forums and it can be hard to find what you're looking for, so the Google search should help.
Let me know what you think.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Dinges

Posted: 03:43am 31 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Achmed is surely gone and won't be missed by me... Thanks, I'll stop whingeing now

I also see that the old, unobtrusive google ads that were in that block have gone too. I hope that won't cut into your revenues.

The search function is certainly handy. Did give it a quick test ride (searching for 'motor conversion' ) but not too many results - yet. Hopefully that can be changed in the near future.

One question about the google search function: is it up to date, or does it only update once per month ? So that for recent searches it would still be wiser to use the search function built into the board ? Edited by Dinges 2008-08-01

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:43am 31 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

AW I missed the achmed link I did see a you tube of the terryrist skit and I was falling off my chair even after watching it 10 times. come on lighten up Dinges be game mate and go watch the you tube skit

Robb

Posted: 12:34pm 31 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Get firefox

Right click banner----> Do not show content from xyz.com

I also useFlashblock

I don't block all adds but that keeps the high bandwidth ones at bay.

CraziestOzzy

Posted: 10:18pm 31 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...SILENCE!!!

sPuDd

Posted: 11:40am 01 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...I KILL YOU!!!
It should work ...in theory

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024